Author Topic: Oportunity knocks  (Read 7849 times)

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
Oportunity knocks
« on: November 26, 2009, 07:30:51 AM »
I have an oportunity to purchase a HF Mill, http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40939. I have a picture, and it looks clean and well taken care of. Wgat Grizzly model compares to this? I cannot find the exact same thing on Grizzly. Asking price is good, with a rolling stand.
How hard would it be to set up in my Garage? Could it be converted to 110vac, I don't have 220vac in the garage. This is much more mill than an X2 or X3, but for the price, I don't think I can pass it up.

Chuck :bugeye:
Chuck in E. TN
Famous TN last words: "Hey ya'll, watch this..."
MicroMark 7x14, HF X2 mill, Green 4x6 saw. Harbor Freight 170A mig

Offline ibuildstuff4u

Re: Oportunity knocks
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 11:50:51 AM »
I would buy it if I had the chance.  Looks like a nice machine for the price and adding 220 to the garage can be pretty easy if you know what your doing.  Just check into the cost of the wire if you have a long run.  Copper wire is kinda pricey and adding 220 to my garage cost $200.00 for just the wire, but was worth it in the end.

The x2 or x3 is no comparison to a machine of that size.  There will be a ton more projects that you could do with that size of a table and the HP of the spindle.

Do you have a actual picture of the machine you could post?

Dale P.

bogstandard

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 12:29:38 PM »
This is an English version of the machine, and it is floor standing.

http://www.chesteruk.net/store/626s_turret_mill.htm

The version for cabinet standing is this one

http://www.chesteruk.net/store/626_turret_mill.htm

Bogs

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 03:18:57 PM »
I have the Enco version of that mill. It is a very nice machine. I've done a lot of work on it. I think it can be ran as 110 volts also? I think that's how mine is running? If you have any questions, Fire away.
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 04:36:32 PM »
Grizzly makes one comparable to that Click Here. They also make the G3103 with a table power feed. Prices varies greatly from HF.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 02:02:56 PM »
Chuck.

I bought a similar one earlier this year

http://www.chesteruk.net/store/626_turret_mill.htm

If you buy it I doubt you'll regret it, it's a very nice machine  :thumbup:

CC

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 09:35:17 AM »
Unfortunately I didn't get this one. Before I could schedule a trip to see it, it was sold.
I did manage a real good deal on an HF X2, though. It came with the belt conversion, collet set, clamping set, scales on x,y,and z axis, gooseneck lamp, and a 4" vise. All for a few bucks more than the mill alone.
It's in 2 pieces in my pickup at the moment. I picked it up in PA on the way from TN to NY for the holidays.
First job will be reassembly and tramming.
I'm scowering the web for ideas for a traming mount for a dial indicator, as I have not yet purchased a DTI. I like the welded one posted here: http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=2425.0, but I have no welding equipment.
I do have some precision round stock salvaged from discarded printers, if I can figure out how to get the end of a piece shaped ) to bolt square to another piece, or is it not necessary to mount the DTI perfectly square?

Chuck in E. TN. (freezing my a** off in Central NY)
Chuck in E. TN

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 09:41:14 AM »

:offtopic:  Were abouts in Central NY?

If your close I figure I can invite you over to warm your butt on the stove.  :lol:

Bernd

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 10:03:36 AM »
I'm currently in North Bay, North East end of Oneida Lake. Wife and I are traveling down to Mt Upton, to visit my brother for a couple days, back here for Christmas with Grand kids, to Albany for a couple days, and then back to Mt Upton for New Years. Thome to TN on 2nd or 3d.

Chucck from E. TN
Chuck in E. TN

Offline websterz

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 10:31:50 AM »
Unfortunately I didn't get this one. Before I could schedule a trip to see it, it was sold.
I did manage a real good deal on an HF X2, though. It came with the belt conversion, collet set, clamping set, scales on x,y,and z axis, gooseneck lamp, and a 4" vise. All for a few bucks more than the mill alone.
It's in 2 pieces in my pickup at the moment. I picked it up in PA on the way from TN to NY for the holidays.
First job will be reassembly and tramming.
I'm scowering the web for ideas for a traming mount for a dial indicator, as I have not yet purchased a DTI. I like the welded one posted here: http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=2425.0, but I have no welding equipment.
I do have some precision round stock salvaged from discarded printers, if I can figure out how to get the end of a piece shaped ) to bolt square to another piece, or is it not necessary to mount the DTI perfectly square?

The indicator doesn't have to be mounted perfectly square, it just has to be rigid.
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

Offline usn ret

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 11:54:12 AM »
Chuck,  welding equipment not needed, just take a lenght of 3/8 or 1/2 round stock. Drill and tap one end then heat to bendable temp. Bend to 90 deg and wallah, a tramming tool.
Get warm!! My part of sunny SoCal is already up to 30F @ 0900 local. Merry Christmas.
Cliff :coffee:
If it isn't broken your not looking hard enough!

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 12:31:46 PM »
Cliff, Leave it to me to over complicate things. i have a 3/8" or 7/16" rod from a printer that I'm sure will volunteer for the job!

Chuck
USAF Ret
Chuck in E. TN

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 05:13:28 PM »
I'm currently in North Bay, North East end of Oneida Lake.
Chucck from E. TN

I now understand why your cold.  :D

Bernd

Offline platypus20

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 08:53:27 PM »
I'm currently in North Bay, North East end of Oneida Lake. Wife and I are traveling down to Mt Upton, to visit my brother for a couple days, back here for Christmas with Grand kids, to Albany for a couple days, and then back to Mt Upton for New Years. Thome to TN on 2nd or 3d.

Chucck from E. TN

North Bay, NY one of the garden spots of CNY, I grew up 8 miles north in Camden. I drove thru North Bay at about 11 AM this morning. About 25 years ago I put boilers in the school in Mt Upton.

Jack
jack