Author Topic: Lathe oil  (Read 3349 times)

Offline flint

Lathe oil
« on: November 19, 2009, 01:52:38 PM »
I have a C4 lathe that I want to get up and running. The manual doen't really give any suggestion for the type of oil to use. I would appreciate any thoughts on what would be the best way to go.

On nearly the same topic, any suggestions for the best oil to use to store tools to prevent rust?

Thanks in advance.

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
Re: Lathe oil
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 02:45:29 PM »
Hi Flint, I was recently faced with the question when I bought a lathe some months ago and the advice I got was to use hydraulic oil, in fact when I got the container of hydraulic oil home I read on the label "Suitable for lightly loaded spur gear gearboxes"  which of course is a perfect description of a lathe headstock. There are a couple of grades to choose from.

John
From the den of The Artful Bodger

bogstandard

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 03:00:38 PM »
Just to elaborate slightly on what John has told you. In the UK we use a grade of hydraulic oil that has a 32 in the title ie Tellus 32. That can also be used for general lubrication of the tailstock and other spindles that usually have little oilers.

For slideways, if you can, get a dedicated slideway oil, it usually has the number 68 in the title.

http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/Chronos_Catalogue_Oils__Lubricants___Adhesives_etc_124.html

For open gears, such as change gears and long lost gears (inside the mini lathe headstock) you are better off buying a can of spray on chain grease, that is designed to penetrate and stick like s**t to a blanket, rather than being thrown off, as normally happens with GP grease.

Bogs

Offline flint

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 06:15:39 PM »
thank you very much for the response. Now I know where to start.