Author Topic: is this the perfect present???  (Read 6950 times)

Offline jim

if i'd thought it through, i'd have never tried it

bogstandard

Re: is this the perfect present???
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 12:20:08 PM »
Have a look at his other sales.

I have no experience of decent woodworking, so it looks like I can take up a new profession of making antique quackers. Mine would look just like those, paint 'em up, tie them to the car bumper and a quick drag around the block, there you have it.

A grand in my pocket is better than in his.

Bogs

Offline jim

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 12:30:04 PM »
Have a look at his other sales.

I have no experience of decent woodworking, so it looks like I can take up a new profession of making antique quackers. Mine would look just like those, paint 'em up, tie them to the car bumper and a quick drag around the block, there you have it.

A grand in my pocket is better than in his.

Bogs
ye gods!!!

GrahamC

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 01:28:48 PM »
ye Gods and Wowza indeed. It is not even good woodworking at that.

Just like anything that can be collected, is collected, and some of those collectables have reached great heights in their collectability with price tags to match with someone always willing to pay what is required because they need it.

One man's garbage, another's treasure is never more true when it comes to collecting.

cheers, Graham in Ottawa Canada

bogstandard

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 04:19:56 PM »
Jim,

I am sorry I dragged this a little off course, but looking at the sort of chappie he is, he will be expecting a lot more than what the price is at the moment for the bit you are interested in, it will be nice to know what the eventual price is.

As for the quacks, I think the market he is aiming at isn't in the UK, but in the US, where they have a much shorter history than ours, and of course less artifacts, 'folk art' as they call it, is eagerly sought, and high prices are the norm, not the exception.

Bogs

Baldrocker

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 05:25:23 PM »
And the ducks fly to their new home, hence the free postage.  :D
BR

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 05:45:44 PM »
Decoys are highly collectable. Over $100,000.00 for some of them. They are like coins, watches,baseball cards, clocks, automobiles, teapots or any other thing that someone fancies. You have to build your knowledge to avoid counterfeits. :hammer: A duck in the bernie madoff auction went for over $5,000.00, :bugeye: probably worth only $50.00 if the Madoff name was not attached. One man's junk is another's treasure.
Tink

The desire accomplished is sweet to the soul.
Prov 13:19

Offline jim

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 03:59:26 PM »
found another place with them on, this lathe even has a leadscrew!!!!http://www.steelman24.co.uk/product_info.php/info/p511_LATHE-OPERATOR.html