Author Topic: Keeping things well oiled.  (Read 4172 times)

bogstandard

Keeping things well oiled.
« on: November 14, 2009, 06:25:32 PM »
As you may well know, I am a lubrication fanatic. I would prefer to spend 20 squid a year and have my machines dripping in lube, than pay for costly repairs to a non or under lubricated machine.

I noticed that Arc Euro were selling real cheap sight glass oilers, so I ordered a couple. I now know why they were cheap, but they should do the job.
There are two areas on my mill that require constant attention when running for any length of time, the first is the bottom bearing in the arbor support on my new bit of equipment.

And the second is the quill and spindle lubricator.

A length of hex bar was set up in the lathe, and the end was turned up to accept a 1/8" BSP thread, the same thread that is used on the fittings already there.

And the thread cut onto it.

The thread was screwed into location, and the length that is required obtained

The same was done for the other fitting.

Once both bits were to the right length, they were drilled right thru with a 3mm drill.

A larger diameter bar was drilled and tapped at each end to fit 1/8" BSP and both bits parted off.

So these are the bits needed to make my right angled extensions.

A flat was milled onto the side of the upright so that the hex bar sat nicely on it.

The hex bar was screwed in tight, and the upper side marked up. The upright was tried for fit, and was spot on.

Unlike this one, which has been made with the tapping in the casting well out of square.

No need to worry, Mr Powerfile to the rescue.

A few seconds, and this one looked OK as well.

Now to get them stuck together.
A length of 0.5mm silver solder wire was wrapped around the bottom part of the hex and the joint well fluxed up.
Apply heat to the bit at the bottom (NOT TO THE SOLDER).

And both bits end up well fused together.

Mount hex upright in the vice, then drill down until the hole reaches the hole in the upright.

That'll do me.

A bit of PTFE on the threaded joints and they are both fitted to the machine.
First the one at the top.

Then the one at the bottom.

I tried them both out with oil, and adjusted them to give a steady drip feed.

One thing less to worry about.

Bogs

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
Re: Keeping things well oiled.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 06:41:33 PM »
John,
Heads up for next time, buy the chrome ones not the brass ones, come from he same supplier in China but fr better quality.

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 06:53:45 PM »
Thanks for posting this John. I've often thought of doing the same to my mill. Great show!!!

Wes
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

bogstandard

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 04:04:09 AM »
Thanks for the tip John, will do, don't know when, because I have no more to do. But a good reminder to people who might be following on.

Wes,

I personally think something like this is well worth doing, it takes the guessing out of it.

I had been meaning to do it for a while, and it wasn't until I got the second machine part only recently, that spurred me into action.

It can be a matter of only a few seconds of running dry, and the machine can suffer drastic consequences.

Just remembering to turn them on and off is now a new problem. But I think being more visible is a good reminder.

Two strokes on the central lube and then flick on the oiler.

John

Offline Gerhard Olivier

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 04:42:46 AM »
That would be a vey good way to keep the old lathe solid bearings in good shape - thanks good idea

Gerhard
Guernsey
Channel Islands