Author Topic: C-4 Lathe Observation  (Read 5054 times)

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
C-4 Lathe Observation
« on: November 10, 2009, 01:39:12 PM »
As some of you already know, I upgraded to the Seig C-4 lathe. I've had the chance to put it through its paces and I'm still pleased with my purchase. I'm also quite pleased with the SX3 mill, which compliments the C-4 quite nicely. For those who are considering an upgrade from the C2 and X2 machines, I can highly recommend both of these machines. Both are much more sturdy, accurate and powerful.

Today I went in search of modifications that others have made to the C-4 lathe. Any increase in capability interests me, as my poor C2 lathe knows all too well. If you've owned a C2 mini lathe, you know there are a huge number of sites offering improvements you can make to them. I figured the C4 had been out long enough to have gained a few such sites of its own, but to my surprise..... it was almost... well.... like the sound of crickets chirping.

I spotted mention of a tumbler modification for the threading gears and another guy who changed out those accursed slot head gib screws, but that was about it. There were several extensive reviews and a couple of forum threads, which to my surprise were all but totally positive as they related to the machine. That alone is absolutely rare among machinist sites.... even if you forget that these machines are evil Chinese iron.

Let's see.... good reviews, next to zero negatives on the machinist forums and a total lack of "gotta do" modifications. The fact that even a year after being released to the public there are no lists of required mods seems to speak volumes. Sounds like Sieg just might have managed to hit a home run.... but then I already knew that from personal experience.

Just thought I'd share what I found to be an interesting observation.

Steve

bogstandard

Re: C-4 Lathe Observation
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 02:07:01 PM »
Steve,

I have been extolling the qualities of my machines for the last year, and after seeing the latest versions in the showroom last week, it does confirm that the far eastern manufacturers are listening to the drums.

My own mod to my mill where I put stop button on for the quill has been followed up on the new version, slightly different to mine, but doing exactly the same job. I will be modding mine to how they have done it.

When it was released, your lathe was the real flavour of the year from all the writeups about it, and it looks like it has all come true, with only tiny problems being found.

Isn't it nice to have made the right decision?

All those people who have spent megabucks on new designer machinery must be really sagging at the shoulders by now, and it will only get worse for them, as the far eastern stuff gets even better.

John

Offline jim

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 02:24:14 PM »
i love my C4!

now running 125mm chuck.
i added a few extra grub screws to the compond gibs, a 4 position stop for the bed.

i had to put 4 grubscrews in the tailstock with PTFE "bungs" to remove the slop in the tailstock.

its done a hell of a lot of work (got a small sideline) over the last couple of years, only problems really have been petty. the worst problem was the half nut not fully engaging and had to modify it a bit!

i've been thinking about upgrading to bigger lathe, but money looks like its putting a stop to that for now :(
if i'd thought it through, i'd have never tried it

tumutbound

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 03:30:15 PM »
I have a C6 lathe and all of the mods that I'd like/need to make to it, are already done on the C4
i.e. more powerful, variable speed motor; t-slots on crossfeed; cam-lock tail stock, etc.

EDIT: Just noticed on the Sieg website that they now have an SC6 lathe. Same basic specs as the C6 but with a 1000 watt brushless motor, variable speed.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 12:24:55 AM by tumutbound »

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 06:03:10 AM »
Before I bought my harrison, I had narrowed down my New lathe search to the C4 also. The things that impressed me were power cross feed, good capacity, sturdy construction and a big powerful motor which actually works with variable speed. Chester were at the time selling them for what seemed like a bargain, the fact that they've shot up in price also speaks volumes!

I still believe I made the right decision with my harrison but it was more of a risk and a delve into the unknown. But I am glad that the C4 is living up to it's reviews and it seems I would have been happy either way on this occasion.

Nick