Author Topic: Broken motor pinion Century mill  (Read 3781 times)

Offline Twinsquirrel

• never rub another mans rhubarb
Broken motor pinion Century mill
« on: November 09, 2009, 08:27:36 AM »
oh B*&ger,

Took the day off today (the joys of working for yourself eh) to hopefully finish the tapered gibs on the mini lathe but no sooner had I started to square up the carrier blocks, this happened:

6 teeth stripped on the motor pinion. Strange but the machine didn't seem to be complaining before it went bang... Anyway, new gear has been ordered and it was only £4 so I really shouldn't moan too much.

David TS
So many ideas, so little skill

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
Re: Broken motor pinion Century mill
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 09:24:13 AM »
Dave,

I was drilling a long hole with mine the other day and it seem to be making a funny noise / slowing down etc. randomly. The further I went down on the travel the worse it got. I might need to strip mine down and take a look, I know somebody else who has had problems with his. Was that gear from Chester? Not too bad if that's the price. Mine is essentially the same thing from Amadeal.

Nick

Offline Twinsquirrel

• never rub another mans rhubarb
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 10:04:51 AM »
Hi Nick,

Couldnt get through to Chester on the phone this morning so I ordered mine from Amadeal too, as you say they are the same machine and we counted the teeth and checked the sizes on the phone. Evidentally there are 2 different sizes available mine was 22 teeth but it lists 17 teeth in the manual. Amadeal are so good to deal with so I'm pleased that Chester didnt answer the phone  :D

David TS
So many ideas, so little skill

Offline jim

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 01:16:24 PM »
i had the feed gear go on my lathe, doing a rush job!

got me new one next day in the post :thumbup:

theses things never seam to go wrong when you've got time to kill :lol: :lol:
if i'd thought it through, i'd have never tried it

bogstandard

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 03:52:00 PM »
If this looks like to be a regular problem, you should buy one for stock, then if it does go again, put the spare one in, and purchase a replacement straight away to go back into stock. That way, you are down for the minimum amount of time.

It's called covering your a**e.

Bogs

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 08:47:39 AM »
Cheers TS,

That's good to know. When I bought mine we got a good deal from him as somebody else from our club bought one at the same time. I know he's had a couple of problems, 1 with the spindle and 1 with the table. He said there was play in the spindle and the actual table was tapered. On both occasions the guy was good to deal with and sent out a new table and complete head which solved the problems. I haven't checked mine but guess I should.

Good point Bogs, will be useful to have a few spares. Esp as this amadeal guy only runs a small company so who knows how long he'll be around for.

Nick

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 11:17:02 AM »
I believe he advertises on E-bay....

"Only harryuk123 brings you these low prices! I can be contacted for further information either via eBay, through my Amadeal website or directly on 0208 558 4615 (11-4pm) or 07887 945717"

« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 11:19:35 AM by John Rudd »
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors