The Shop > Metal Stuff

Adventures in metal spinning \o/

<< < (4/4)

Powder Keg:
Thanks Ralph. I started on the pieces for my patterns today. I still need to get some pictures of that. They will take a bit to build. They need glued together. Then drilled and tapped. Then a bit of machine work. Then more glue and machine work. Then I'll be in business!!! :ddb: :nrocks: :ddb:

Rog02:
Lookin' Good!

The spin shops I have been around all use a thread plate that is centered and screwed to the back of the form block.

Once the raw form block is glued up, the thread adapter is centered and attached and the wood turning is done so the form runs concentric to the adapter.  The nice thing is that the adapters can be removed from one chuck and remounted on another, lessening the number of adapters needed to maintain an inventory of chucks.  Indexing and marking the adapter plates allow for reusing them on the same forms with repeatability. 

Spinning a Baby Cup on the Lathe
http://www.gibsonpewter.com/blog/videos/

Same shop that made the baby cup are making this onion shaped milk jug.

This is how the chuck works,

The chuck shown is the fine quality craftsmanship of cabinets2inlay AKA Wm. Thomas

Just one more photo of the entire service

A true collaboration of two master craftsmen!

Brass_Machine:
Love love love metal spinning. Just have been able to give it a go yet. Maybe this summer!

Watching this thread

Eric

Brass_Machine:
Something I have always wanted to try was metal spinning. Can't wait to see how this turns out!

Eric

Powder Keg:
I just about have all the stuff ready to go. I started cleaning my shop and that has taken over as my "project" for the moment. I think it will pay off though. I already have more room to work. Before I didn't.

Stay tuned :nrocks:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version