The Shop > Metal Stuff

Adventures in metal spinning \o/

(1/4) > >>

Powder Keg:
I've decided that I need to learn hot to spin metal. I'm getting set up to spin some pieces for a project I've been working on.

The first thing I decided to work on were a couple of tools. They will be used to push the metal to the form on the lathe.

The handles were table legs. I turned the 1" shaft to the desired shape then used a hand grinder to finish it off. Then the ends were polished so they won't galled the parts I need to make.

I tried a couple of small pieces with the pattern being held in my 3-Jaw chuck. Not enough room. I decided that I needed to make a threaded adapter. The spindle on my lathe has an oddball thread. It's a 2 1/8" - 5 thread. I need about a 1" - 8 thread for my patterns to thread onto. First I'll need to thread my adapter to fit my lathe. Here is my setup.

Here is the adapter after a couple of passes.

I made a short video of the threading. Here is one of about 50 passes. This is a big thread!!!

Right after this my battery went dead. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR I'll get more up later.

Powder Keg:
I've been building all the parts for my steady rest out of pieces from the scrap bin. I had all the pieces done they just needed welded together. I had a chance to get that done today. I love TIG welding :nrocks:

Now I just need to finish up my spindle nose adapter.

dsquire:
Powder Keg

Ok, I'm settled in and ready to watch the progress.  :)

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Darren:
Kettle's on  :thumbup:

cedge:
Buttering a fresh batch of popcorn as I type. 

Steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version