Author Topic: Needle Files  (Read 4456 times)

GrahamC

Needle Files
« on: November 07, 2009, 12:10:36 PM »
I am looking to buy a good set of needle files and have done some research.

You can find these in the very cheap and inexpensive to the very expensive range - Nicholson, Simmonds, and other no name asian imports.

I ran across a name that I was unfamiliar with and was wondering if anyone is familar with the brand name Tome Feteira made in Portugal.

cheers, Graham in Ottawa Canada

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: Needle Files
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 03:29:17 AM »
Graham

I have some files by both Nicholson and Simmonds and they have served me well. I usually shy away from the no name unless I'm looking for boat anchors.  :lol:

I have no idea of the brand name Tome Feteira made in Portugal. Offhand I would probably have more faith in them than no name. Perhaps someone else on board here has heard that name before. :D :D

Edit to add:

I decided to google the name to see what I could find and here it is.

http://www.tomefeteira.com/

Founded in 1856 by Joaquim Tomé Fèteira, File company Tomé Fèteira, is today a modern manufactering plant with an established name producing products of hight quality.

For almost one and a half centuries research and development has taken place in the production of files and rasps.

The experience gained by Empresa de Limas União de Limas União Tomé Fèteira in the manufacture of files and rasps is being used to develop new metallurgical products with Collar - Tomé Fèteira quality.

The constant search for improved quality and the rigorous inspection of each Collar - Tomé Fèteira product ensure that are of a standard unmatched anywhere in the world market.

Those where the principles which make the wel known Collar brand demanded by buyers and users all over the world.

With the ever growing demand for our products, the original plant has been developed into todays modern factory.

In more than 65 countries where its products are sold Empresa de Limas União Tomé Fèteira has a network of representatives, agents and distributors giving efficient backup to buyers and users of Collar - Tomé Fèteira products.

So I guess that these files are probably as good as any that you will find on the market. :) :)

Cheers  :beer:

Don
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 03:44:05 AM by dsquire »
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

GrahamC

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 09:19:54 AM »
Good morning Don,

Thanks for your comments. I found their web site as well and it was an interesting read.'

I have for the moment been seriously thinking of the Grobet brand - actually I think they are more of a supplier of premium brand products rather than a manufacturer.

They market with a brand name of Habilis - both files and rasps. They are sort of like 4" files with a total length of 8" with a formed handle (rather than the round handle on your typical needle files) and are described in size as between needle files and the larger standard style files. These may just be what I was looking for and supplemented with a couple of true good quality needle files may in fact suit my small file needs. So far I haven't been able to locate a local source but do have a line on a couple of mail order places. Too bad, as it would be nice to have a look and feel before purchase.

http://www.grobetusa.com/files/swiss_precision_files/habilis_files.html

cheers, Graham in Ottawa Canada

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 10:05:59 AM »
Graham,

I have recently purchased a large number of needle files from a retired clockmaker. They are unused and cost £3.50 each. The same files online are selling for £6.99 plus postage. Some are swiss made files, some are Oberg made in portugal and many are British made files. They all seem excellent and you can not compare them to my current set of cheap Dormer files.

If you are interested, I may be able to get more and post them on to you at cost.

Chris

GrahamC

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 07:00:33 PM »
Chris,

Thanks for the kind offer but I will pass as I have think I have settled on getting a basic set of 5 of the Habilis files as they seem to be a better fit for my needs - kind of half way between needle/jewellers files and the larger 6 and 8 inch files that I currently have. I will supplement them with a couple of select good quality jewellers files and I think I will be all set for a while at least. 

Famous last words that - since when are we ever set, even for a while, when it comes to buying new tools?

cheers, Graham