Gallery, Projects and General > Gallery

A little afternoon project

<< < (2/3) > >>

andyf:
From a radio point of view, it would have been better on the vehicle roof. But there's a downside to that, as I found when driving into a multi-storey car park without removing my ham radio antenna. It must have cost a lot to replace those ceiling mounted fluorescent tube lamps  :lol: :lol:

Andy

kvom:
For offroad use you don't need as big a range as a truck driver does. Mainly you're just talking with people within a few hundred yards at most

Bernd:

--- Quote from: andyf on November 06, 2009, 07:25:40 PM ---From a radio point of view, it would have been better on the vehicle roof. But there's a downside to that, as I found when driving into a multi-storey car park without removing my ham radio antenna. It must have cost a lot to replace those ceiling mounted fluorescent tube lamps  :lol: :lol:

Andy

--- End quote ---

Can't believe somebody halfway around the world did that too! I did it with a fiberglass CB antenna. I got about 4 lights before I realized what was happening.

Bernd

John Hill:

--- Quote from: kvom on November 06, 2009, 08:05:08 PM ---For offroad use you don't need as big a range as a truck driver does. Mainly you're just talking with people within a few hundred yards at most

--- End quote ---

The size of the aerial is determined more by the wavelength being used than the working distance.

SKIPRAT:
that is true to a certain extent but an antenna can be wound as a helix round a non conducting former thus shortening it's length whilst still keeping its electrical wavelength the same.The mounting position is also critical
with regards to the preformance of the antenna if mounted low down on the side it will not radiate effectively in
all directions due to the screening imposed by a metal body the best place to mount any transmitting antenna is
in the middle of a metal roof as most mobile antennas rely to some extent on the "groundplane effect" of metal
roofs ,for off road us it is better to have a shorter antenna mounted higher up than a long antenna mounted lower down as it will always radiate better due to it being in free space .

Cheers Paul

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version