Author Topic: Fixing David's lathe  (Read 12092 times)

Offline Twinsquirrel

• never rub another mans rhubarb
Fixing David's lathe
« on: November 05, 2009, 10:22:49 AM »
Hi all,

New thread started. Faithfully trying to follow the processes in this thread  http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=627.0

Well the weather has been too good to be working in the workshop and I have had to do some proper work today  :( but thought I would post my progress so far while I wait for some paint to dry.

The story so far, after reading Bogs' superb thread about fixing Darren’s lathe I decided to have a go at doing the same to my trusty 7x12, I'm coming to realise that perhaps I have been a little too ambitious so this could all end in tears.

My lathe had a taper of .24mm end to end when measured between the top and bottom of the ways (where the Gib strips run) but having spent a fretful afternoon skimming them  down to .07mm taper over  the length of the bed. Actually not the full length as I didn't skim the area below the head stock.

I didn’t take any pics of the set up but here is something that shows how small my mill is compared to the casting.

These 2 pics are taken about 10" apart

Not too bad?

This is the machined area after a little dressing with some 800 wet+dry paper soaked in oil wrapped around a piece of square bar (thanks for the tip John), The small machining marks are hardly visible to the naked eye but the camera seems to exaggerate them.

I hope to get a bit more done tonight, perhaps squaring up some stock to make the new carriers or maybe I’ll just take a deep breath and relax for the evening and make sure I know what I am doing next.

Cheers

David TS
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 10:27:54 AM by Twinsquirrel »
So many ideas, so little skill

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Re: Fixing David's lathe
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 11:55:23 AM »
Thats a great bit of work David I think you,v made a good lathe even better.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I know what you mean about being nervous about taking chunks out of your beloved machinery, I've been worry about the machining I've got to do to my mill to fit the DRO, but Johns now put me right on that score.

Cheers

Stew
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 02:12:07 PM by sbwhart »
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 12:48:30 PM »
Nice one David!  :clap:

I love to see any mods being made to "my" lathe.....  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 01:46:01 PM »
Ahhhh .............. back with  vengeance Mr Squirrel  :beer:

Nice to have you around mate and nice work, that's a pretty tight tolerance, well done  :thumbup:

CC

bogstandard

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 02:07:13 PM »
David,

Did you use the upside down flycutter that I said should work OK?

When working with precious parts, it pays to double check everything you are going to be doing, then triple check again, just in case. Write everything down so that you don't make a silly measurement mistake.

If you take your time, everything will turn out just fine. All you have to do is think how good it is going to be when you have finished it.

And always remember, you are never alone. You have the backing of every member on the site, they will always be there if you need a bit of info or encouragement.

John

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • Software For People Who Build Things
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 02:17:36 PM »
When working with precious parts, it pays to double check everything you are going to be doing, then triple check again, just in case. Write everything down so that you don't make a silly measurement mistake.

Another one that should be scratched into the wall of every home shop out there.

John, you've really got to put all these wonderful distillations of experience together into a Book of Proverbs and provide a copy to all the newbies who sign on.

If we could puzzle out a way to condense patience and attention to detail into little nuggets that would fit into jam jars, we could sell them and make a whacking great fortune.
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

bogstandard

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 02:45:00 PM »
I think it all comes with ageing Marv.

The older you get, the slower you go, and everything gets difficult to remember, so you spend more time pondering and thinking how you are going to get it done, and then you have to write it down so that you can remember everything.

John

Offline Twinsquirrel

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 03:57:33 PM »
Thanks Gents,

CC, It's good to be back, hopefully all the real world dramas are out of the way for the forseeable future and I'll to do some machining in ernest over the winter months.  :beer:

John,

Yup, I used the upside down flycutter that you suggested over on the other thread, you can just see it in the 1st picture. In fact the flycutter is one that I knocked up to get me out of a bit of a situation but it works so well I reach for that one over the shop bought one every time.

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 04:09:31 PM »
If we could puzzle out a way to condense patience and attention to detail into little nuggets that would fit into jam jars, we could sell them and make a whacking great fortune. 

Add a sprinkle of common sense, then marinate it all in a bucket of experience and I think you are on to a real winner Chaps  :thumbup: ........ put me down for 15% please  ::)

CC  :beer:

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 04:14:52 PM »
CC, It's good to be back,

Good to have you back David  :beer: 

where the heck did you find this lil' "nugget" never rub another mans rhubarb   :clap: ......... sorry it just amused me .......

..... anyway are you still into the "Smart" paint repairs and are you off to Harrogate  :dremel: .......... and VW dark blue ....07 ......  :(

CC (Dave)

Offline Twinsquirrel

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 04:27:21 PM »
where the heck did you find this lil' "nugget"  never rub another mans rhubarb    ......... sorry it just amused me .......

Lol, dear old Grandpappy sat me on his knee one day........  :D

..... anyway are you still into the "Smart" paint repairs and are you off to Harrogate   .......... and VW dark blue ....07 ...... 

uh oh!!! Yep, I'll bring the van!

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 04:38:47 PM »
uh oh!!! Yep, I'll bring the van! 

Cheers  :bow:

CC

Offline Davo J

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 08:55:34 PM »
Hi David,
If you wanted to get the lathe bed any better I would suggest lapping it in, by running the carriage up and down the bed mainly concentrating on the high part with some lapping past between the gib and the bed. Most blokes that have the older IH mills do it to clean up the ways and to bed them in.
Davo

Offline websterz

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009, 12:54:11 PM »
David,

Did you use the upside down flycutter that I said should work OK?

If you take your time, everything will turn out just fine. All you have to do is think how good it is going to be when you have finished it.

And always remember, you are never alone. You have the backing of every member on the site, they will always be there if you need a bit of info or encouragement.

John

And, if worse comes to worst, we will buy the still usable bits from you to help finance a new lathe.  :lol:
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

Offline websterz

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2009, 12:57:38 PM »

where the heck did you find this lil' "nugget" never rub another mans rhubarb   :clap: ......... sorry it just amused me .......

Didn't The Joker (Jack Nicholson) say that to Bruce Wayne/Batman (Michael Keaton)?
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • Software For People Who Build Things
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2009, 01:21:48 PM »
Never underestimate the power of "Madmodders"  :thumbup:

Kudos guys  :beer:

CC

Offline Twinsquirrel

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2009, 03:00:21 PM »
Posted by: Davo J
Insert Quote
Hi David,
If you wanted to get the lathe bed any better I would suggest lapping it in, by running the carriage up and down the bed mainly concentrating on the high part with some lapping past between the gib and the bed. Most blokes that have the older IH mills do it to clean up the ways and to bed them in.
Davo

Thanks Davo, will give that a try  :clap:

Didn't The Joker (Jack Nicholson) say that to Bruce Wayne/Batman (Michael Keaton)?

Posted by: mklotz
Insert Quote
http://vodpod.com/watch/1511136-never-rub-another-mans-rhubarb

Ah ha so thats where it comes from, never seen Batman so I dunno where I picked it up from?

Offline websterz

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2009, 05:19:08 PM »
Posted by: Davo J
Insert Quote
Hi David,
Davo

Thanks Davo, will give that a try  :clap:

Posted by: mklotz
Insert Quote
http://vodpod.com/watch/1511136-never-rub-another-mans-rhubarb

Ah ha so thats where it comes from, never seen Batman so I dunno where I picked it up from?

Obviously THEY got it from YOU then.  :thumbup:

Offline seanacais

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2010, 10:48:16 AM »
Almost three months with no update?

What happened to the lathe David?

Kevin