Author Topic: Member on HMEM calls it quits  (Read 5151 times)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Member on HMEM calls it quits
« on: November 02, 2009, 08:39:08 PM »
Some of you now doubt have read that Diymania had a bad experince in his workshop. I'm glad no one was hurt.

As I got further down in the posts he wrote back about his engine he was working on. There seem to be many things wrong with it. I went back and reread some of his other posts on building parts. The conclusion I've drawn is that he seems to be having a hard time making parts and fitting them together and making them function properly. This leads me to a second conclusion in that this accident is an excuse for quitting the hobby. Kind of saving face by not having to say I just can't do it. Or am I WRONG big time in drawing this conclusion?

He's only been doing this hobby for about 4 months from what I can gather.

If what I've said is true it's rather sad to see an individual giving up like that on something I think he really wanted to do.

Regards,
Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

tumutbound

Re: Member on HMEM calls it quits
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 08:45:37 PM »
If I quit something just because I was no good at it, I'd never get anything done!

I've only been playing around with the lathe and mill for about 12 months. I still have a lot to learn, but that's half the fun isn't it?

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 09:03:54 PM »
Bernd
I too read that post several times and I'm pretty much convinced there is a lot more there than meets the eye. Perhaps some depression over the upcoming move to smaller digs and the need to choose between hobbies is part of it. No doubt the fire scared the crap out of him, but it doesn't seem to have the full bodied ring for making such a stark choice. I feel for the guy, but it seems he's made his decision... for what ever his reasons.  Sad.

Steve

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 08:42:10 AM »
Steve,

It just seemed so drastic of a move to me. The guy is in his mid 20's and to have such a reaction. I wouldn't think of somebody that age giving up so easy.

As you say, sad. Perhaps later in life he'll get back into it. Seems like he wants to hang around. I also see all his pictures seem to be gone.

Bernd

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 09:26:58 AM »
If I quit something just because I was no good at it, I'd never get anything done!

You got that right.  As I tell the guys at hunting camp: I'm glad I enjoy it, because i don't seem to be very good at it.

I think the guy is frustrated, and he's using this as an excuse.  Sort of "this must be a sign" type of thing.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 11:04:51 AM »
Well if he takes up knitting I hope he doesn't drop a stitch....................

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • Software For People Who Build Things
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 11:39:29 AM »
My first thought when I read this was, "Is this how all those attempts to legislate danger out of existence originate?"

Here's a doofus using gasoline as a solvent inside a structure with live electronics on the workbench.  He starts a fire - what a surprise - and immediately wants to do away with the shop so nothing like this can happen again.

It's only a tiny step more on the slippery slope until he's out agitating for laws to make gasoline, electricity and/or home shops illegal so no one can harm himself.  I can see the banners now - "It's for the children".  Sadly, there are many countries where such appeals would be treated seriously.
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 02:41:57 PM »
Good point there Marv.

I used to ride bikes without a helmet. I knew that if I fell I'd hurt my head. So never did anything to stupid with a bike. Also found out what "hot" was at a very early age. Pain is a great teacher.

Bernd

Offline Krown Kustoms

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 03:46:22 PM »
 :scratch:I have never seen anyone call it quits as fast as this.
I usually try to look at it like -hey I hope the next fire is not as big-
-B-
-B-

RobWilson

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 04:26:14 PM »
For what its worth,, i think the lad is depressed and after reading his post he seems to be reaching out , lives with his grandma ,were are his folkes, he is probably not looking forward to living alone, YOU DONT NO WHAT PROBLEMS HE HAS  and its not for us to judge OR TAKE THE PISS
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 04:43:37 PM by RobWilson »

Offline sorveltaja

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 04:50:22 PM »
An other point of view: A person encounters adversity in his/her hobby/life, gets shocked, and wants to escape far from the disasterous situation.

Why is that happening? One reason is that a person doesn't have the 'tools' to handle such a things. Yet.

Like an apple tree. It has to grow enough to carry all the apples.

In other words, I think it's unfair to blame diymania for quitting. No matter, what his reasons are. He will return, when the time is right.

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 05:17:27 PM »
I've yet to see anyone on either board putting the guy down. The group's reaction has been overwhelmingly supportive even if he's confused everyone with his reaction. Clearly, what we do know is not all of the story..... but then I'm not sure a public forum is the best place to reveal the rest of it.

Steve

bogstandard

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 05:32:10 PM »
I can honestly say that in the last few years, I have felt like and acted just as he is doing now. All due to personal pressures and problems.

Just leave him to sort himself out, give him a bit of support, but never criticise his actions.

In his own time, he will sort it, in whatever direction he wants to take.

Bogs

Baldrocker

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 06:01:33 PM »
RobWilson, Bogs
Ditto
BR

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2009, 06:11:25 PM »
I agree with Bog's and also Steve.

I think at this point we should let this thread die it's natrual death.

I'm a bit concerned now that I started this thread. As Steve has said there are certain things that should not be made public. Let's try to encourage him to try other things.

I've all ready posted a message about getting smaller tooling and building some small air engines. Haven't checked back yet to see his response.

Bernd