Gallery, Projects and General > Gallery

Graver Honing Jig

(1/3) > >>

Jere:
I Thought I would post a few photos of tonight's project.

As an amateur watchmaker, hand-held lathe tools (gravers) are a frequently used tool.
Shown is a handmade graver from 1/2" walnut dowel, brass tubing, and a GlenSteel 3/32 HSS lathe bit.  It was ground to a 50 degree cutting face.

To hone the face to a nice sharp edge, it can be done free hand on a bench stone, however this requires a very steady exacting hand.
Otherwise a jig of some sort can be used to hold the graver at its desired angle.  These jigs are available commercially in various forms, but I decided to make one.  The design is based on the one described in John Wilding's book titled "Tools for the clockmaker and repairer : how to make and use them."  I made some modifications to his design as he works in Imperial dimensions, and uses BA threads and his is designed for use with 3/16" gravers.  Aside from the dimensions, I will be following his methods and design.

It consists of a clamp, connecting arm, and roller pivot and a roller.  The pivot arm is cross drilled and pinned to retain the roller. 

When I made the brass thumb screw, I tried using a simple knurling tool, however, I obviously had no idea how to use it.  Any advice on how to use a simple knurling tool, specifically how to determine the diameter of the work to be knurled would help I think.  It is a single, checkered form wheel type that fits in the toolpost.  Instead I simply ran a threading tool bit into the side of the part and indexed to 30 positions, it gave a decent knurl-like result.

Some photos of finished project.

Shown in use on an India bench stone.

Closeup:

Thanks for looking,
Jere

bogstandard:
Jere,

A big welcome, and very nice work.

I hope you show a little more of what you get up to.

I do some hand graving when I want to get a shape that is not normally available, not in your sizes, something a little larger. But anything you can show us would be most welcome.

Bogs

dsquire:
Jere

Great job on those pieces. Its hard to realize how small they are until you compare them to the size of the stone. I have seen similar jigs used to sharpen wood chisels and plane blades.   :ddb: :ddb:

Thanks for showing us these items.

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Bernd:

--- Quote from: Jere on October 31, 2009, 05:12:50 AM ---I Thought I would post a few photos of tonight's project.

--- End quote ---

Very nice jig. As Don said it reminds him of a chisel sharping jig, so true. Always wanted to try hand graving too. You might be just the insperation I need.

--- Quote ---Any advice on how to use a simple knurling tool, specifically how to determine the diameter of the work to be knurled would help I think. 

Jere

--- End quote ---

A couple of weeks ago I was going through some of my older metal working magazines and came across just that subject. I'll see if I can find it again. Give me a  :poke: if you don't hear back from me in a while.

Bernd

Bernd:
Jere,

I found the info. Scanned it for you. Can't post it on a public forum since it's copy righted. PM me your e-mail address and I'll send it to you. Tried at your web site but can't attach pictures there.

Bernd

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version