Gallery, Projects and General > Gallery

Graver Honing Jig

<< < (2/3) > >>

mklotz:
In the KNURL program on my page (which you're free to download), I took the approach that the circumference of the work has to be an integer multiple of the circular pitch of the knurl.

Old timers (most especially Sir John) will tell you it's all nonsense and to just mash the knurl into the work until it starts forming a proper knurl shape.

I've used both techniques and they both work.  I must admit that mashing has a certain appeal - especially so after just having botched a part in which you had two hours of work invested.

Jere:
Bernd,  I sent a PM with my email, thanks for finding that article, I will check it out.

Marv,  I downloaded the Knurl program.  I assume that "number of teeth on knurl wheel" is counting how many teeth going around the circumference of the wheel?  I will have to go try and count them, it is quite a small knurl wheel, but once I have that information, looks like your program is very helpful.

A photo of the knurlling tool that I have, it is made by Cowells and has a 1/4" shank for holding in the tool post.  After reading various postings about knurling it appears that a scissors type tool would offer more success, however, no one seems to make one which will fit my small 1/4" tool post.  I imagine that sort of excuse doesn't fly around here, I should have made one!

Thanks for everyone's input and comments.

bogstandard:
Jere,

Much larger tools will work just fine on your machine as long as you can get them around the job.

What people tend to do is buy the smallest tool that is available, and will fit the machine, then just machine the holding shank down until it fits into your own toolpost.

Bogs

Jere:
So I counted the number of 'teeth' going along the edge of the circumference of the knurling wheel.  = 65
The diameter of the wheel is 0.625"

The KNURL software outputs for several test calculations suggests that just about any 1/8" increment should work.
Tried 1/8" 1/4" 3/8" 1/2" as nominal diameters and the program outputs the same values.
The thumb screw above was made from 5/16" brass rod, which the program states should have been reduced to 0.308" for 'perfect knurling'.

So now I just need to try it again, and can no longer blame it on not knowing what diameter to use ....    :thumbup:

Jere

Bernd:
Jere,

I sent the files. Might be to big for for your provider. Outlook Express kept timimg out.

Check your PM box.

Bernd

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version