Author Topic: my new mill  (Read 6624 times)

Offline chuck foster

my new mill
« on: October 25, 2009, 07:04:50 PM »
i just got this mill on saturday  :clap:  it is a sieg super x3.

and all i got to say about it is................what a treat  :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

i had a round column mill/drill for about 4 years, it wasn't a good mill or drill but it was ok.

if anyone is looking for a good rigid and powerful little bench top mill i would highly recommend this one.

there are a few on this forum that already have one of these mills and i think everything they have said about them is positive.

this was not meant to be a bag but i just can't believe how good this little mill is.

i just had to tell you guys all about it cause talking to the wife about it......................well............you guys know what i mean.

now back to metal munching.

chuck  :wave:
hitting and missing all the way :)

former hmem member

Offline DeereGuy

• D1 Adapter Solutions
Re: my new mill
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 07:11:12 PM »
Hey Chuck congrats!!!!...You aren't going to miss that round column...or at least I didn't.....But then again I have no figgin patience....

I can relate to the wife part....This place is great to share the excitement with...thanks for sharing....

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 08:18:11 PM »
Congratulations Chuck. Glad to see that you have a new man-toy. We appreciate it even though the better half might not. We look forward to some pictures of you making chips once you get it squared away and tested.  :ddb: :ddb:

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline chuck foster

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 08:52:10 PM »
thanks guys..............i knew someone would understand my excitement  :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

don: the mill is all squared away and tested. so the first piece i made with it was this flycutter

i have worked at various places over the years and run big expensive machines but i have never owned good machines, so it gives me a great feeling when a machine i own works well.
i have run big lathes that would swing 6' in diameter and take 2" deep cuts but they were not mine so it didn't mean anything.

i might be just nuts but thats the way i feel about "my machines"

now where did i put my straight jacket   :lol:

former hmem member

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 10:35:02 PM »
Chuck

No need for the straight jacket. Running someone else's equipment is not the same as running your OWN equipment. It didn't take you long to get down to business with it. That fly-cutter looks looks great.  :ddb: :ddb:

Let the north winds blow, Chuck is going to be well occupied in his shop this winter. :lol: :lol:

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

bogstandard

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 10:59:57 PM »
Happy new mill.

I too had a round column mill/drill, but I would never say a wrong word about it, like your new mill, it was a stepping stone to better things.

I am sure you will soon be taking advantage of the different methods of operation, and of course it's more accurate capabilites.

Bogs

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 12:12:42 AM »
Chuck..... I just love a good love story....LOL. I had no doubt you'd find the mill to be a step up. I'm quite attached to mine too. That 1000 watt variable speed motor really delivers and the machine is rigid enough to take advantage of its power.

Nice work on the fly cutter. Wait till you give it a test run.... you're gonna love it. That machine doesn't fuss about the 5 inch fly cuts I make.....at all.

Steve

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 01:53:13 AM »
Hi Chuck

Happy new mill  :D  it's exactly the same as mine and I love it, started taking advantage of the tapping function and its great, I've got a DRO on order to fit, so I'll be playing even more tunes on it.

Have fun and enjoy your mill

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline usn ret

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 02:47:13 PM »
Congratulations DAD, is it a boy or a girl??? :D :) :D
Cliff :beer:
If it isn't broken your not looking hard enough!

Offline jim

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 02:50:31 PM »
its a great feeling :thumbup:

i'm looking forward to getting to grips with mine over the winter.

Mrs Jim and the kids understand about tools (and lucky for me my deliverys almost always come when Mrs Jim is out :) :) :))
if i'd thought it through, i'd have never tried it

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 05:52:18 PM »
i just had to tell you guys all about it cause talking to the wife about it......................well............you guys know what i mean.

Yup ........... we know  :thumbup:

Happy metal butchering ............... nice mill  :thumbup:

CC

Offline flint

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 07:16:57 PM »
I can't help myself, I have to ask where you found an SX3 in Canada....

Offline chuck foster

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 08:50:44 PM »
thanks for all the kind comments guys  :D

i just finished trying out the new flycutter and it worked great, im sure it will work better once i figure out the right way to sharpen it  :scratch:

flint: i got my mill from this guy https://www.machinetoolswarehouse.com/xcart/catalog/index.html
im not associated with him in any way............just a very happy customer  :) :D :clap:

well thats it for tonight, now i just have to think up a nice project to build that involves allot of milling  :dremel:

former hmem member

Offline chuck foster

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 08:21:41 PM »
i just thought i would add this little bit of great news.

when i bought the mill i paid cash, i counted out the money and the guy just put it in his pocket and wrote out a receipt. i asked him if he was going to count it to make sure it was right, his reply was "no worries it's all there" to that i said ok.

well he went to the bank on tuesday to put the cash in the bank and they informed him that there was $20.00 more than there should be. so he emailed me lastnight to tell me all about this and to say he was mailing me a cheque for the over payment!!
now how good is this guy, he's aces in my book.  :thumbup:

oh ya and the mill is great  :D :D

former hmem member