Author Topic: Freshman game  (Read 5311 times)

Offline tinkerer

Freshman game
« on: October 22, 2009, 03:47:49 PM »
We have the last freshman game tonight then Varsity Homecoming tomorrow. Weather forecasts are dire for tomorrow. The parade will probably be delegated to a walk around the gym.
Freshmen not an issue with W/L. Training ground for varsity.
Varsity will be facing a good defense and a poor offence, basically what we would be described as. The offense that puts points on the board first should prevail.
Tink

The desire accomplished is sweet to the soul.
Prov 13:19

Offline tinkerer

Re: Freshman game
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 01:55:23 PM »
Well, that didn't work out as expected. Up 14-0 late in the third quarter, opponent completes a 65 yarder for a score then fake the PAT and get the two points. 14-8 now. 4:36 to go in the 4th Q and opponent completes a 47 yarder and cnvert the PAT. 15-14 now. We go 3 and out then hold them to their 1 yard line and they punt, ball is about to roll out of bounds at the 35 and our idiot decides to be a hero and scoops it up and fumbles. Opponent recovers. They go 3 and out and punt to our 42 yard line. We go 4 and out, game over. Opponent held to 90 total yards not counting the two long passes. We have one back rush for 157 and one for 114 in a disgusting lose.
Tink

bogstandard

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 02:38:18 PM »
Now you have got all the measurements, will it fit on the mill to machine it? :lol:

I'm totally lost with that lot. :doh:

Bogs

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 02:39:11 PM »
Tinkerer

Sorry to hear about the bad turn of events. Its all part of the learning experience. Next year will be better. Sounds like the basic game plan was working except for a couple of f$&*ups. :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 03:00:12 PM by dsquire »
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 02:50:13 PM »
John

You were posting at the same time as me, hence the double post. :lol:

Your going to have to learn a bit about American football then you can follow along. If you described a game of soccer (English football) or rugby to me in a couple of sentences I probably would have a hard time understanding it as well. :doh:

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
and your better best

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 03:07:21 PM »
Don said: You're going to have to learn a bit about American football then you can follow along. If you described a game of soccer (English football) or rugby to me in a couple of sentences I probably would have a hard time understanding it as well

Soccer or either of the two flavours of rugby would take a while to explain, Don. But cricket is much simpler. Here you go - two paragraphs rather than two sentences, but still commendably brief:

Cricket: As explained to a foreigner...
You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game.

See - it's easy  :lol:

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 03:45:01 PM »

Easier than the "Offside Rule" anyway  :hammer:

Though to be fair I understand neither as no simple engineering principles seem to be involved  :smart:

CC

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 05:03:24 PM »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: You fellas are a riot.  :lol: :lol: :lol:
I just thought I understood cricket. :scratch:
The only rugby I have been exposed to is Andy Capp in the funny papers and it didn't seem like a game I would want to play. A bunch of guys hugging and then kicking each other butts. :lol:
Tink

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 05:22:01 PM »
Don said: You're going to have to learn a bit about American football then you can follow along. If you described a game of soccer (English football) or rugby to me in a couple of sentences I probably would have a hard time understanding it as well

Soccer or either of the two flavours of rugby would take a while to explain, Don. But cricket is much simpler. Here you go - two paragraphs rather than two sentences, but still commendably brief:

Cricket: As explained to a foreigner...
You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game.

Andy

OK Andy. Now I just about totally understand it but just have one question. Do you need more ins than outs or outs than ins to win.  :doh: :doh:

One other thing, Would an out in OZ be the same as an in in UK?  :lol: :lol:

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
and your better best

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 05:25:09 PM »
:lol: :lol: :lol: You fellas are a riot.  :lol: :lol: :lol:
rugby ............... A bunch of guys hugging and then kicking each other butts. :lol:

Don't ask about the bath  :bugeye:

CC

Baldrocker

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 07:19:20 PM »
Aussie cricketers are never out when playing in the UK unless given out by a questionable decision by an umpire,
or bowled out by a bloke named Flintoff who spends most of his time advertising underarm deodarant.
A. Nonymouse.