Author Topic: A new find  (Read 3985 times)

Offline tinkerer

A new find
« on: October 20, 2009, 07:29:49 PM »
Diggin in the bottom drawer, I found this thing. Disassembled it and found a collet inside. So I sez, "cool, the collets come back out." I swapped my cans for an opportunity to search the recycler and found a 5/8" by 5' aluminum bar. I cut off a chunk and faced both ends and turned one end to 1/2". Put everything back together and the 1/2" end in the collet and tightened it down. Holds very snuggly. Then I looked at the taper and realized, this is much bigger than my spindle. Back to wondering, now what do I do. No threads inside for a draw bar. What I am thinking is I need a 1/2" steel bar to go in the bottom section of the collet and long enough to chuck, but unless verified that is correct, I keep looking for what maybe the previous owner used. I am getting closer to having something usefull though. (edit) Looking at the picture, the nut looks like an ax was used on it. I have the spanner wrench for it though.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 07:32:10 PM by tinkerer »
Tink

The desire accomplished is sweet to the soul.
Prov 13:19

Offline tinkerer

Re: A new find
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 08:59:40 PM »
OK, through the power of deductive reasoning, I figured if I had all of these collets, there had to be a way to use them, especially after finding the taper with a collet in it. So, I measured the dia. of the tail of the collet and found it to be .50. I then turned a piece of the 5/8" aluminum bar I found to .49 for about 3" in length.

I then stuck it into the tail of the collet and found there is a stop ring for it to rest on. I did a little measuring and cut the bar off so the larger diameter would go up into the opening on the taper

I then measured the hole in the back of the taper and found it to be .52 I turned the aluminum bar to .515 and assembled everything.

Everything fit tight and locked up as expected. Chucked it in the lathe and spun it up. It runs true. Eeehaaa
Now all I have to do is get a steel bar and turn to the same dimensions and I will have saved a chunk of money.
Tink

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 09:35:49 PM »
I just had an epiphany :smart: I can turn a MT on the steel bar and eliminate the chuck. I think I saw a thread where Bogs turned a MT, so I will have some idea of where to start. :ddb: :ddb: :nrocks:
Tink

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 09:56:55 PM »
I just had an epiphany :smart: I can turn a MT on the steel bar and eliminate the chuck. I think I saw a thread where Bogs turned a MT, so I will have some idea of where to start. :ddb: :ddb: :nrocks:

See what happens when you keep on thinking!  :doh: Good things happen. :ddb: :ddb:

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 02:02:35 AM »
Good that you can make use of your finds and breath new life into them.  :thumbup: look forward to seeing the work progress

Thanks and Cheers  :beer:

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave: