Author Topic: Make sure you get the decimal point right.!  (Read 4399 times)

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
Make sure you get the decimal point right.!
« on: October 12, 2009, 07:04:38 PM »
So I ordered one length of 9.00 mm steel bar for a job ?

This arrived today.

90mm x 6 metres or 3-1/2" x 20 feet for the metrically impaired.

Joking apart it IS what I ordered but because I knew the weight I asked for it to be cut at 2 x 4 foots and 2 x 6 foots.
I only wanted the two x 4 foots, the rest is spare but now paid for.

Truck rolls up at 4:00pm with an uncut bar, can't send it back as I have no time left to make these to a deadline before the show on Friday, well Thursday setup actually.

Poor old Forky was really struggling and it's too long to get onto the saw with where it's positioned, so it's a tossup between the Armstong saw or the angle grinder, angle grinder won.

Knocked off at 6:15 tonight as I wanted to get the press out the Donald and assembled.
Just got the two 4 foot shorts on the saw and converted to eight 12" lengths for when I finished.

Did the 3 cuts on 1 - 1/2 nine inch cut off disks which I thought was good, expected to wear more out than that.

John Stevenson

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Re: Make sure you get the decimal point right.!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 07:09:56 PM »
Pop the excess in a jiffy bag for me please .....  :lol:

There is a hex bar that size in the scrapies, I foolishly tried to pick one end up ....  :lol:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 07:19:20 PM »
Pop the excess in a jiffy bag for me please .....  :lol:

There is a hex bar that size in the scrapies, I foolishly tried to pick one end up ....  :lol:

Sure, send postage first. :wave:

Years ago I came across a 4" solid phozzie bronze bar, about 12 foot, just laid out in the local scrappies yard, full length because I checked the ends and both were cropped and painted so nothing had been cut off it.

I asked why was it scrap and was told it had been ordered in error then dark holed until it was forgotten about, then scrapped.
I said it shouldn't be just lying about and was told if I could load it on my own I could have it.
By the time I had come out of hospital from having my left knacker removed from behind my right ear it had gone....

John Stevenson

Offline Davo J

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 09:28:37 PM »
That's one of the reasons why I built the crane on my 4x4 truck. I was always finding things that couldn't be picked up by hand. A new full hydraulic knuckle boom crane is on the drawing board, I have got most of the parts for it. Then this is one can then go on the trailer for towing behind the family wagon. I have fished plenty of heavy things out of scrap bins over the years, also comes in handy around the home, as we live on a small farm. It only weighs 90kg so weight it's like carrying taking a person around but can lift more. It lifts 500kg @.9mtr and 80kg @2.9 mtr and has been engineer certified.
Davo