Author Topic: Tailstock turret (thanks Bogs)  (Read 6359 times)

Offline Gerhard Olivier

Tailstock turret (thanks Bogs)
« on: October 10, 2009, 03:02:08 PM »
Got this thing with the Lathe I collected yesterday more about that lather in other post.

So I desided to fix it up for the 918Warco rather that for the Old lathe as that has a MT1 tailstock and I have other plans for that one.

So I clamped a piece of 10mm silver steel in the 3 jaw chuck and then the drill chuck that has a MT2 taper on the other end of the piece of silver steel.  That gave me a theoreticall perfect setup for the taper. Set the top slide over to match and checked with the dial indicator.  Then just a matter of cut the taper to the max length of the topslide travel and then try to connect up again ecactly with the previous cut??????  Not the most correct way of doing this but it worked after about 4 tries.  EXPLAIN my topslide travel is only 2/3 of the taper lenght.

Emery paper to improve the surface.

The MT2 taper done and ready to turn over into the MT3  to MT2 adapter and to cut the taper to match the inside of the round do-dah.  THe hole that this fits into is a 16.58 mm hole that tapers to a 16.23mm over 20mm.  I suppose im making a MT2 to unknown taper adaptor.

More later

Gerhard

« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 05:30:04 AM by geroli »
Guernsey
Channel Islands

Offline Gerhard Olivier

Re: Tailstock do-dah
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 04:20:42 PM »
Making the second taper

The taper adapter complete

After filling a flat for the grub screw fitted the lot to the tailstock to try.  Fits perfect.

Next would be to clean up and lubricate and then I wonder if it would be better to redrill all the indexing holes in position to ensure they are al allined perfectly.???????????

Gerhard
Guernsey
Channel Islands

bogstandard

Re: Tailstock do-dah
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 04:32:09 PM »
Geroli,

A very nice tailstock turret.

If you are conteplating truing up the holes, they need to be gently bored rather than drilled. If you drill, the drill will just follow the old hole, whereas if you bore them, that should true them up.

Depending on the size of the fitting holes, Arc Euro do all sorts of adapters that will fit.

Go to almost the bottom of the page.

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Machines-Accessories/Lathe-Accessories

Bogs

Offline Gerhard Olivier

Re: Tailstock turret (thanks Bogs)
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 05:35:28 AM »
Bogs yes I ment bore with the indexable boring head.

The one in the link has 16mm diam holes and the one i have is 1/2 inch but I tested and they arent true to centre     (some up and some to side)  Would need to enlarge all the hole to about 14mm minnimum so could just as well go to 16 and have the other optoin as well.

The other thing is the finish as it is at moment is nice on an older lathe but doesnt really fir to modern lathe ???do I or dont I make it shine again???

Gerhard
Guernsey
Channel Islands

bogstandard

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 06:44:31 AM »
Strip it down, if it will do so easily, give it a good going over and bring it back to like new.

Only then do your boring.

Bogs

Offline chuck foster

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 09:23:18 PM »
that is one nice looking tail stock turret..............  :thumbup:

chuck  :wave:
hitting and missing all the way :)

former hmem member

Offline Gerhard Olivier

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 05:11:55 AM »
Found it see page 57 of this catalogue

http://toolemera.com/catpdf/wfjbarnes1885.pdf

I also have the westcotts patent combination lathe chuch page 56 and the steel lathe arbour page 54
Gerhard
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 05:28:38 AM by geroli »
Guernsey
Channel Islands

Offline Gerhard Olivier

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 04:49:45 PM »
Tailstock turret is having a swim in the Citric acid to derust and clean up again this is after a trip to the dish washer to degrease.  THANKS ARNOLD for the tip on HMEM

Hopefully it will look nice again when finished

Gerhard.
Guernsey
Channel Islands