Author Topic: More shop time!  (Read 3640 times)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
More shop time!
« on: October 07, 2009, 03:55:28 PM »
I have been put on to a three day week!    I suppose I should be upset at the 40% drop in income and the prospect of a future subsisting on yesterday's bread and weak tea but really all I can think of is the extra shop time. :ddb:
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
Re: More shop time!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 04:00:38 PM »
Sorry to hear about the drop in income, but extra time in the shop has to be a good consolation.

Every silver lining has a cloud, or something like that.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

bogstandard

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 04:19:43 PM »
John,

Bad news on the short time working.

Think positive though, you are very fortunate in that it could have been a 0 day week.

It is no joke being off work for any length of time. Getting extra hours in the shop at this time will be a bonus, but after a time that will start to wear off.
I haven't been able to work for over 5 years now, and you have to strike a balance between the shop as a working environment, and then for true enjoyment. It could easily become a place you hate, if you don't get that balance right.

Look for a project that you always really wanted to do, but never had the time before now, and if it is within your financial means, get stuck in.

John

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 04:31:38 PM »
Double edged sword John, hopefully you can weather the financial storm and enjoy the extra free time, good luck  :thumbup:

CC

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 04:38:08 PM »
Thanks for the comments everyone.

Somehow I doubt I will ever be on the 5 day week again but although the money will be missed it is no a tragedy.  Mrs and I have been saving our pennies for a very long time so maybe now we can spend some of it.

I am 62 and all my friends are retired and just hanging around the house but I hope I can do better than that. ::)  

From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 04:59:52 PM »
Nice to hear you can enjoy the free time John, good luck to you and and Mrs JH ...............  :thumbup:  I hope you have many years to fill  :beer:

CC

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 05:54:44 PM »
John

Sorry to hear about the short week. :( This will give you a bit of a chance to practice for retirement.  :D

You mentioned that a lot of your friends are retired and just sit around the house. I think that you will do much better than that as you have already got at least 1 hobby that you will spend time at. When you get full retirement you will wonder how you ever found time to work 5 days a week.  :doh:

Enjoy your new found time and along with the Mrs., take some time to stop and smell the roses.  :ddb: :ddb:

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 02:29:36 AM »
Hi John

Sorry about the short time working.

But look on it as practice for when you retire. I worked for 3 to 4 days a week for my last couple of years before I retired, as a result retirement was less of a shock to the system, don't miss work one little bit.  :thumbup:

Have fun

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline jim

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 02:41:39 AM »
i've just gone back to full time after 6 months of short time.

my money dropped about 1/3.

i've got to say i enjoyed it (worked 3 nights a week), the drop in money did us a favour,we just watched what we spent and made some cut backs, i mangaged to save up enough to buy my new mill.

hope it goes ok for you :thumbup:
if i'd thought it through, i'd have never tried it