Author Topic: My review of a Chester Tools HV 128 Bandsaw  (Read 12650 times)

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
My review of a Chester Tools HV 128 Bandsaw
« on: October 07, 2009, 03:23:23 PM »
So after much deliberation over the choice of bandsaw verses powered hacksaw, and having settled on a bandsaw I ended up choosing a model "HV 128" from chester machine tools.

I do have to say that I wasnt terribly impressed with Chester's customer service prior to going to their showroom, especially via email where they gave information in homeopathic proportions, that being said I still chose to buy the bandsaw and the face-to-face experience was much better.

Anyway, getting on to the review. (at last  ::) ) This post will be about my experience with assembling it and getting it to work initially. I'll post up with more when I've used it for a while.

1st thing to say is that the box weighs about 55Kg's, is about 4feet long by 15" wide and about 20" tall.

Opening the box exposes the wonder that is the Stand. It's called a "wonder" because you will spend quite a bit of time wondering how on earth to put the whole thing together. Basically when you open the box and pull out the 4 legs, 4 spreader bars, 1 bag of assorted bolts and nuts and several initially unknown pieces of steel.

At this point in the unpacking procedure it is usual to cast aside the instruction/owners manual in a manly fashion, which I of couse did. However, after a few rather blank glances at the assorted nuts and bolts and various mystery steel parts, I strode over in a manly fashion to where the manual landed earlier and turned to the pages that would tell me how to assemble the stand.

Stepping over the small pile of crumpled, useless chinglish jibberish that is an extremely poor excuse for a manual, I started to assemble the stand in some form of a fashion to make a shape that vaguely resembles a bandsaw stand.

Here is where a flaw in the design of the stand becomes evident. The stand is held together by short coach bolts ( I think thats what they are called ), about 16 of them with washers and nuts.

The problem is that when you tighten up the nut, the thickness of the 2 pieces of pressed steel that you are trying to fix together is less than the depth of the square shoulder of the aforementioned coach bolt, and so no matter how much you tighten the nut, the 2 pieces of the stand can never be fully pulled together.

Bravely ignoring this major design flaw, I pressed on and assembled the stand. I stood back to admire my handiwork and noticed that I had created a less stable, metal version of a newborn Bambi. Wondering ( there's that "Wonder" again ) about how this would fix to the bandsaw itself, I then happened to notice, hidden away in the packaging was 2 more pressed steel brackets that fit onto the "Bambi" legs. Once bolted in place the legs firmed up quite a bit.

This gave me confidence ( or was that hope? ) to carry on and mount the bandsaw on the stand. This was no easy task as I have a tiny workshop, and I was alone. So I removed as much weight as I could ( vice and motor ) and then mounted the bandsaw on the stand, carefully supporting the saw while I fastened the 6 nut and bolts that held it on.

True enough, the stand firmed up a little more once the bandsaw was bolted in place, but was still too wobbly for my liking due to the design flaw of the stand. This picture shows what the problem is, I've reversed the orientation of the bolt to show the problem.

See how the square shoulder sticks out slightly. Well, what can a budding machinest do to sort this out  :scratch:  :smart:

I chucked up the bolts, removing one at a time to save completely tearing down the bandsaw, in the lathe using a ER32 collet to grip without damaging the threads and took a cut off the shoulder with a parting tool.

Before

After

After doing this to just 4 bolts the difference was amazing, much more solid. So 16 bolts later and the transformation to the "Bambi" stand was astounding!! A hundred times sturdier. Anyone who buys one of these, or any other bandsaw that has the same design flaw, should do this before mounting the bandsaw on the stand. ( saves doing it one at a time )

So here is the bandsaw in it's present place in the workshop, this is it in the horizontal position,

Vertical, but without the table fitted

And here is it making it's very 1st cut, some mystery steel about 20mm diameter, a 1mm slice. This is straight out of the box, I have not adjusted or tuned or even set up anything, it is also the stock blade that came pre-installed.

That's all I have at the moment, I will post up again when I have used it a bit more. So far I am very happy with the bandsaw, the stand, as it is supplied is not really fit for purpose. This is a real poor point on this bandsaw and the only thing that is worse is the abismal manual. Yea I know that pretty much all these far-eastern manufactured machines come with fairly abismal manuals, this one was worse than the others that I have had. Why local suppliers could not re-write the manuals I really dont know. Chester machine tools went to great pains to tell me how much better quality their Tiwanese factory give as compared to the Seig factories, to be honest I expected a bit more from them.

That's all the ranting I have for the moment, hope some of you are still awake after reading this epic tome  :lol:

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

bogstandard

Re: My review of a Chester Tools HV 128 Bandsaw
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 04:41:22 PM »
Nice write up and fix Tim.

I must apologise for wasting your time in your initial search for a saw, when I stated that the Chester ones didn't go vertical. That was said because that is the information I was given by Chester, when I was doing my research.

I don't know who your salesman was, but it would always pay to ask for Gareth if ever you go into the Chester showroom. He is now the only one I will deal with, as he has the most experience about the machinery they sell. Even if it means phoning first to make an appointment with him.

I would suggest you send him an email and a couple of the pictures you have shown on here about the bolt problems.
You have to realise that they are only box shifters, and unless they know about the problem, it cannot be rectified by their suppliers.

BTW, an easy bolt fix would have been to have put a washer that fitted nicely over the square and sat under the bolt head. It would also spread the load a little more. But that would be the easy way out.

John

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 04:57:01 PM »
I must apologise for wasting your time in your initial search for a saw, when I stated that the Chester ones didn't go vertical. That was said because that is the information I was given by Chester, when I was doing my research.

No need for any apologies, as I learnt from emailing Chester, they seem to have a email account that must charge them by the word judging by the miniscule answers to my queries. I had to ask twice to get confirmation that the HV128 could be used vertically before getting a straight answer.

I don't know who your salesman was, but it would always pay to ask for Gareth if ever you go into the Chester showroom. He is now the only one I will deal with, as he has the most experience about the machinery they sell. Even if it means phoning first to make an appointment with him.

Noted for future reference.

I would suggest you send him an email and a couple of the pictures you have shown on here about the bolt problems.
You have to realise that they are only box shifters, and unless they know about the problem, it cannot be rectified by their suppliers.

Will do  :thumbup:

BTW, an easy bolt fix would have been to have put a washer that fitted nicely over the square and sat under the bolt head. It would also spread the load a little more. But that would be the easy way out.

I would really like to say that I had thought about using a larger washer..... but I didn't. Although unfortunately it wouldn't have done me any good even if I did think of it as I dont have any washers that would suit.  :bang:

Tim

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 04:58:48 PM »
Tim,  exactly what John said.  Gareth even had someone call me in New Zealand to give advice for a problem that was not even one of their machines so he gets  :thumbup:

If Bambi is still a little shakey I imagine you can stiffen her up a lot by cutting trapezeoids(?) of ply to panel in between her legs.
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 05:13:06 PM »
Very useful write up Tim, thanks  :thumbup: ............ bugger about the crappy bolts though  :bugeye:

look forward to hearing more about the saw in action  :beer:

CC

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 06:08:58 PM »
Tim

Nice write up on the assembly and nice fix on the carriage bolts though anyone without a lathe would have had to go to plan b. I agree with showing a picture of the carriage bolt fix to Chester. They may even give you a handfull of goodies the next time you are in. You will never know unless you try. :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline jim

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 02:45:57 AM »
i'm happy to find out that i'm not the only that couldn't put my stand together :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
if i'd thought it through, i'd have never tried it

Offline Gerhard Olivier

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 04:11:29 AM »
That is the same bandsaw I have.

I had a lot of Stainles bolts handy and just used them.  My stand is still not as firm as i would like and would later like some casters on the frame???
Other than that I have found it a good asset.

Gerhard
Guernsey
Channel Islands

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 04:21:23 AM »
i'm happy to find out that i'm not the only that couldn't put my stand together :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe we could form a club  :beer:

That is the same bandsaw I have.   .......        My stand is still not as firm as i would like and would later like some casters on the frame???

I plan to install a couple of wheels on the back side of the back legs, I plan to position them so that when in use the wheels are about 1-2mm above the floor, but when I pick the front end up ( because the wheels are offset slightly on the back legs ) the wheels would then make contact with the floor and allow the saw to be moved a bit easier.

I have emailed Chester, I basically cut and pasted my 1st post into the email, edited it a bit and sent it to them so we shall see what becomes of that, I will report back what they have to say.

Tim
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 05:28:21 AM by spuddevans »

Offline Stefan Pynappels

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 05:20:26 AM »
Well done Tim. Just two questions......

1. How on earth are two people ever going to work in there now?

2. How on earth am I going to get at the boiler now?

But seriously, if it saves half an hour of hacksawing every time, it gets a thumbs up.

ps Got some Teflon Dry Lube for you to try, just checking with Bogs that it is suitable for chucks and guides and things on another thread.

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 05:31:32 AM »
Well done Tim. Just two questions......

1. How on earth are two people ever going to work in there now?

Well...... I'm on a diet and you do a good imitation of a stick insect

2. How on earth am I going to get at the boiler now?

I know you love a challenge  :poke:

ps Got some Teflon Dry Lube for you to try, just checking with Bogs that it is suitable for chucks and guides and things on another thread.

Sounds good, thanks very much  :thumbup:

Tim

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 05:25:03 PM »
I got an email from Gareth earlier on today to apologise about the stand and communication difficulties I experienced. He said that the HV128 that they have in the showroom has not got the same sort of bolts holding the stand together as I had, so he asked for my order number so that he could chase up the whole batch from the factory to check to see if they all have the same defect.

He was very nice about it and has offered to "sort out a bit of a deal" for me when I next need to get something from them, pity I live in Northern Ireland and have no money or room for any more machinery (just ask Spynapples about the space situation in the workshop  :lol: ) but I'll keep it in mind in case I decide to upgrade any of the toys machines when the better half is not looking.

I've nothing else to report about actually using the saw as I've not been out in the workshop today, might get an hour or so tomorrow after work.

Tim

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 06:44:38 PM »
I bought one of these years ago from Graham Engineering when they were still going. It did sterling work and was probably the most used machine in the shop for amount of metal removed.
I only had the stand a couple of weeks as I realised that for  serious cutting it needed coolant so welded a stand up out of a custom tray with reservoir and legs of 1" box

A mechanical gear pump was mounted on the flat gearbox cover and driven by a big 'o' ring from the motor shaft,

One note was that I found the generic blades supplied by Machine Mart and other agents were crap. I bought Lennox varipitch blades from J&L and they lasted ages.

I only got rid of it because I bought a big saw and it kept getting in the way, If I ever down size I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 03:29:05 PM »
Last night when Stefan ( spynapples ) came over we gave the bandsaw a bit of a run, we put a length of 3" steel bar in the vice and cut about a 10-12mm slice off. On the medium speed ( it has three and the exceedingly poor excuse for a manual suggested the medium speed for steel ) it took a fraction over 8mins to cut thru it.

I dont know if that is good / bad / indifferent compared to other machines? I can tell you it is miles faster than my old "elbow" powered hacksaw  :lol:

Then, using a little engineers square we confirmed that the saw is cutting pretty much dead on square and plumb. This surprised me as I have yet to do anything other than assemble it out of the box. I'm still using the blade that came with it, I have no idea what sort of blade it is. Can anyone give me a way of determining whether or not it is a bi-metal blade? What do they look like that is different looking from a standard carbon steel blade?

So, still very pleased with it, what a arm saver!!

Tim

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2009, 05:29:46 PM »
Tim, though I don't want to start the Bandsaw Races, I once gave my Machine Mart bandsaw a time trial on some 1" square MS bar. As it comes, the saw is handheld, but I made a simple base for it. With a 14 tpi blade, it took 45 seconds. The blade was a decent bi-metal one, not the original Chinese version.
I don't think mine would get through 3" bar in 9 x 45 seconds, though; it would probably have needed to take a couple of rests to cool off.
Anything beats the drudgery of the Armstrong saw, though. I used my bandsaw in handheld mode today, to reduce a treadmill I bought for its intestines to rubble. Took no time at all.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2009, 08:24:22 PM »
8 minutes is a respectable time so you should be pleased. I reckon my big 12 x 18" saw will cut a 3" steel bar in about 4 minutes but we are comparing apples to oranges hence being pleased with 8 minutes.

One word of advise, once it cutting square leave it alone, it it ever starts cutting on the piss throw the blade away and replace.
If you put a new blade on and it cuts on the piss, throw that one as well.
I have found from experience that not all the cheap blades cut OK from new.

John Stevenson

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2009, 11:22:20 AM »
Took me 15 minutes for 2" steel with my elbow powered one so it's pretty fast, probably gives a straighter cut too!