Author Topic: Milling Machine Advice  (Read 7061 times)

Offline steam oil

Milling Machine Advice
« on: October 06, 2009, 03:26:39 AM »
Hi
I have just purchased a Sieg X3 from Arc Euro Trade and would like a bit of advice.

First I am going to need a milling vice, I have been looking at the Vertex K5 vice from RDG.

http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2erdgtools%2eco%2euk%2findex%2ehtml&WD=k5%20vertex&PN=Vertex_K_Milling_Vices%2ehtml%23a47#a47

Would this be OK on a x3 table size 550mm x 106mm.

At some time in the future I will probably need a rotary table would you advise a 6 inch or a 4 inch.

In the past any milling I have needed was done on the lathe so this is going to be a new learning curve.  :scratch:

Brian

Offline matnewsholme

Re: Milling Machine Advice
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 04:12:58 AM »
Hi Brian

Ive got the same vice on an x3 and its a very good fit. I dont fit the swivel base unless I need it to improve rigidity. Ive also got a 6" rotary and I wouldnt want to go any smaller.

matt

bogstandard

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 05:32:58 AM »
As Matt has said, the Vertex 5" would be perfect (throw the swivel bit under the bench just in case you sell the vice at some time). A 6" one, I think, would be pushing it a bit.

The rule of thumb is to measure the table width and double it, that is the OAL of the vice it can comfortably handle. It just so happens that the jaw width on the K series vices are approx half the length of the vice. I think the Kurt style are slightly shorter, so you may be able to go up a size if you went for that style.

Again Matt is spot on with the info for the RT.

Things like these always tend to look too large when fitted to your machine, but you should always try to get the largest that will fit the table. If you have an unequal number of t-slots, try to mount the equipment to the centre one, attempting to keep the table balanced front to back.

I am lucky in that my machine has a fairly long table (36" x 6"), and have managed to squeeze both on at the same time, and still give me a reasonable length of cut in the vice. It saves a lot of time in the long run by not having to reset the vice whenever the RT is fitted.

Bogs

Offline 28ten

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 09:30:31 AM »
 :worthless: we need some set up pics ! When my boat comes in ( December - hopefully) I shall be adding one to my workshop
If it ain't broke, i'll fix it until it is.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 09:32:37 AM »
You mean I want a 20" vice ......  :jaw:

I jest, i wouldn't be able to lift it onto the bed ......   :lol:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline jim

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 11:09:00 AM »
i bought a K4 vice, really wish i'd gone for the bigger one.

i'd go for the bigger rotary table, i've got a 4" one, was too big on the lathe mounted mill, but could do with a bigger one on my mill.

i ended up spending a lot on tooling for the mill, but i wanted to be able to get on with jobs, rather than cut corners.

i got my vice from Chronos, a fair bit cheaper than RDG :thumbup:

good luck and enjoy :thumbup:
if i'd thought it through, i'd have never tried it

Offline Jasonb

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 11:42:07 AM »
I've got a K4 on mine and have not found it too small, its handled all the big bits of a 2" Traction engine without problems.

Have just gone from an old 4" RT to a 6" Soba From Chronos, I got the set with centre and dividing plates, all seems to be well made.

Jason

bogstandard

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 11:50:50 PM »
Darren,

Just for you

John
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 07:11:48 AM by bogstandard »

Offline steam oil

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 08:13:42 AM »
Thanks for the advice, I am going for the Vertex K5 hopefully then I might get round to makeing something.

Hi 28ten sorry no pics yet. I also downloaded the manual from grizzly tools http://grizzly.com/images/manuals/g0463_m.pdf it has a bit more detail than arc's

Brian

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 08:37:32 AM »
I've got a Vertex K4, Brian, and the only fault I can find with it is the black crackle finish on the base. This is probably to mask rough "as cast" surfaces, but the roughness of the crackle paint makes it hard to clean.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline chuck foster

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 08:45:13 PM »
brian: thanks for the link to the x3 manual..............im seriously thinking about getting one myself.

now i just have to convince the wife that i NEED a new mill.

chuck  :wave:
hitting and missing all the way :)

former hmem member