Author Topic: South Bend Large Dial Conv.  (Read 6523 times)

Offline jgroom

• Kansas USA
South Bend Large Dial Conv.
« on: October 05, 2009, 12:56:34 AM »
Hi all!  Well I finally got a chance to work on a tool instead of moving it.  For quite some time I've wanted to upgrade to the large south bend dials.  So I started Ed Godwins upgrade http://www.wswells.com/projects/projects_index.html which includes adding thrust bearings.

Started on the bearing housing....

Started threading....

Now to test the fit..... :doh:  No 9/16-18 nut, or die, or even a tap to make a gauge.  :bang:

After a couple smokes and some head scratching I reasoned that as long as I didn't move the tool post or alter the gear train I should be able to remove the compound, check the fit, and reassemble without losing the thread.  :scratch:

So pulled the compound screw, pulled the compound off it's dovetail, checked the fit (too tight!), reassembled, and amazingly picked up the thread right away.  :clap:

Took off a thou or two more (still too tight!), repeated above process to the point of lining up the thread dial and  :bang: :bang: :bang:

Somehow I'd managed to disengage the dial!  :(   Thus ensued about two hours of fiddling, refiddling, and general butchering of the poor thread I'd started.  Finally ended up with something that looked like a thread, only uglier.

But...

It fits  :bugeye:  No shakes, no rattles, and no wobbling!  :D

Can't machine the other end until I get the screw made.  Hmmmm, first step - cut a 3/8-10 Acme thread.  :hammer:  I believe I'm done for the night!

Cheers

Jeff

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Re: South Bend Large Dial Conv.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 01:39:33 AM »
Hi Jeff

Great start  :thumbup: the south bend lathe is one machine I've always had a great admiration off, great machine and an interesting thread look forward to following your project,

Have fun

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave: