Author Topic: Treadmill motor on an x2?  (Read 7986 times)

Offline websterz

Treadmill motor on an x2?
« on: September 30, 2009, 10:31:03 PM »
I am just not as happy with the performance of my x2 mini-mill as I used to be. I am tired of the mill stalling when I drill holes, and not having cojones enough to power tap. The little motor that comes on the mill is fine for flycutting brass but I want more oomph. I am going to look at a used treadmill tomorrow and if it is worth the time and price I will be bringing it home to dissect. According to the owners manual part list the motor is a 130 volt DC, 2.9 HP, 8000 RPM unit. That ought to put a little starch in my mill, eh? I realize that the motor isn't REALLY that powerful but it will be a darn sight heftier than what I have on there now. I went to a homemade belt drive a long time ago so I don't have to worry about munching gears. Any reason NOT to pull the factory motor and controller and replace them with the bigger parts? The factory take-offs can even be laid back as spares for my 7x12 lathe.  :dremel:
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

bogstandard

Re: Treadmill motor on an x2?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 03:06:16 AM »
Whenever and if ever I do any mods to my machines, I always try to design them so that the machine can be put back to original specs without doing any further mods. Using original machine holes and making adapter plates is the way I usually go.

It usually takes a little longer to get around the fixes and designing it, but at least you can always revert back to original if the mod doesn't work.

Bogs

Offline websterz

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 02:49:43 PM »
Well, I waited on the guy for several hours. I called him numerous times, finally my cell battery gave up and so did I. Hope to find another source for the motor and controller. I will post up the transplant if/when it takes place.  :dremel:
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 06:51:44 AM »
Websterz, I've had more luck than you  :ddb: . A couple of days ago "Treadmill (Faulty) .... runs for 10 seconds , then stops" appeared on Ebay UK. It was only 3 miles away, so I put in a last-minute bid on impulse. Got it for £13.51 (about $20)  and it's now cluttering up the kitchen floor looking like a monster belt sander. During its 10 second runs I couldn't alter the speed, which I thought might be a Significant Clue. Took the cover off, and found a speed sensor sitting next to a pulley, but nothing on the pulley to trigger it other than a small empty hole. Feeling around the adjacent steel frame unearthed a magnet, clinging on like a little limpet. With that back in the hole, it's back in full working order  :D

I did climb aboard and get up to a dignified canter, but it doesn't seem much of a hobby. Still, tastes differ.

It's a good thing the seller will never know the outcome, because he had already ordered a £350 replacement.

The treadmill motor is a DC permanent magnet, US made Leeson, and the plate says 220V, 6.5A (that's 1430 watts input). It also says 2HP, or  1492 watts output, so Leeson are either measuring in Chinese horsepower or have found perpetual motion and solved the global energy crisis at a stroke. There's also a second motor driving a screw jack to put the whole thing on an incline.

My cunning plan, if I ever get around to it, is variable speed on a old Dore Westbury mill like these http://www.lathes.co.uk/dore%20westbury/index.html without having to swap pulleys.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Mike K

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 10:56:47 AM »
Websterz,

Are you stalling in high and low gear?  I also have the X2 and the belt drive conversion.  I was stalling a lot too, before I realized I was on the high speed drive ratio.  Now it never stalls.  Haven't tried power tapping, though.

Mike

Offline websterz

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 01:22:49 PM »
It has plenty of power for milling and flycutting but drills are still giving me fits. Different cutting forces come into play with a twist drill...just have to remember I am not running a 4hp knee mill any more.  :doh:

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 02:57:36 PM »
Websterz, I've had more luck than you  :ddb: . A couple of days ago "Treadmill (Faulty) .... runs for 10 seconds , then stops" appeared on Ebay UK. It was only 3 miles away, so I put in a last-minute bid on impulse. Got it for £13.51 (about $20)  and it's now cluttering up the kitchen floor looking like a monster belt sander. During its 10 second runs I couldn't alter the speed, which I thought might be a Significant Clue. Took the cover off, and found a speed sensor sitting next to a pulley, but nothing on the pulley to trigger it other than a small empty hole. Feeling around the adjacent steel frame unearthed a magnet, clinging on like a little limpet. With that back in the hole, it's back in full working order  :D

I did climb aboard and get up to a dignified canter, but it doesn't seem much of a hobby. Still, tastes differ.

It's a good thing the seller will never know the outcome, because he had already ordered a £350 replacement.

The treadmill motor is a DC permanent magnet, US made Leeson, and the plate says 220V, 6.5A (that's 1430 watts input). It also says 2HP, or  1492 watts output, so Leeson are either measuring in Chinese horsepower or have found perpetual motion and solved the global energy crisis at a stroke. There's also a second motor driving a screw jack to put the whole thing on an incline.

My cunning plan, if I ever get around to it, is variable speed on a old Dore Westbury mill like these http://www.lathes.co.uk/dore%20westbury/index.html without having to swap pulleys.

Andy
:offtopic:
Don"t you just love it when you make a find like that and the fix is so simple. Once found a vaccuum cleaner that wouldn't suck. Unpluged the hose and it worked perfect. Their loss, our gain.  :poke:

That old Dore Westbury mill looks like it would be quite the hobby mill and be a good canadate for a variable speed motor. When you do it I would love to see the pictures. :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best