Author Topic: Made a form tool and it works!  (Read 4424 times)

Offline DICKEYBIRD

• Collierville, TN ya'll
Made a form tool and it works!
« on: September 29, 2009, 08:28:48 PM »
Last week I made a prototype repair part for a broken auto door latch torque rod on a vehicle at work.  It worked so well the parts mgr. said he can sell some to other dealers and asked me to make up some more.  The proto took several hours of head scratchin' and chip making to complete so I decided to make a form tool to speed things up a bit.

I had previously drawn the part in CAD so I copied the "knob" profile onto the end of a 3/8" wide rectangle to simulate the toolbit and printed it on the laser printer. I glued that to top of the 3/8" HSS blank with superglue, set the table on the HF grinder to 10 degrees and ground the profile carefully using a magnifying visor so I could see it well enough to get it right on the line. A little honing with a stone and I called it good.

I chucked the stock with just enough sticking out to clear the toolholder, clamped the tool as short as possible, squirted oil all over everything and slowly cranked the tool in. No chatter, just shiny, curly chips rolling off until it was down to the finished size. Ya could'a heard me cackle for city block!

You experienced guys probably knew this already but I thought I'd post it anyway in case there are others out there that (like me) were hesitant to make a form tool for fear of the chatter demons.  My lathe is a an 8x16 Taiwan made EMCO Compact 8 clone from the middle 80's.  I have my QCTP mounted directly onto the cross-slide and don't use the compound unless I absolutely have to.  That gives me a bit more rigidity.

Anyhoo, don't fear form tools!

Here's the repaired part alongside a good one.

Milton in Tennesee

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: Made a form tool and it works!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 09:13:03 PM »
Congradulations are in order here and of course several 'nana's :ddb:  :ddb:  :ddb:  :ddb:

Nice save. Hope you got you payment for that.  :thumbup:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 10:15:43 PM »
Nice one DICKEYBIRD

I love it when someone can repair it rather than replace it. Good one.  :ddb: :ddb:

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline DICKEYBIRD

• Collierville, TN ya'll
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 10:18:45 PM »
Thanks gents.  Actually they paid me pretty good. Already spent it at Enco. :clap:

I'm hoping there's more to come as well.
Milton in Tennesee

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

bogstandard

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 01:27:56 AM »
Very well done indeed.

I think everyone has fears of doing something new, but until you have done it, you can't realise just how easy some things are.

One more string to your bow, and another technique less to worry about.

Bogs