Author Topic: Shaper Info  (Read 11571 times)

Offline RDL

Shaper Info
« on: September 25, 2009, 04:12:38 PM »
anyway Raymond, please tell us a little more about "Elliott", from what I've seen shaper's are certainly a useful piece of kit but, in your view what makes them stand out over a Milling Machine for instance ............ as you can tell I'm no expert so, it's a genuine question.

CC

There are a lot of variables due to size of equipment.  All shapers will do internal keyways but the size of those pieces will depend on the capacity of the machine.  The Elliott 24", rather obviously, has a 24" stroke and the table moves about 30" which implies that a sufficiently supported piece of that size can be surfaced.  The biggest I did was 16" x 26" which was way too big for my mill.  A big Shaper can do a lot of things but it takes a lot of room and is quite heavy i.e. this one weighs 5,000 lbs.  The fact that machine shops prefer CNC mills and the hobbyists prefer smaller Shapers means that bigger units are less much expensive than the smaller ones. The biggest acquisition competitor is often the salvage yard.  They are also quite powerful so it is much better for your well being to keep out of its way when it is working.

This is a tool holder that started out as a 11" diameter disk that was 3" thick.  This was the inspiration for the Shaper HackSaw.  A cut off blade was used to cut out a section of the disk then the piece was carved out.  The machine does remove a lot of material therefore it is not as absurd as it appears (well nearly).  The Internal hole, for the bolt, was done in the mill.  A typical holder holds the tool square to the ram movement while in this case the tool is angled at 45° to minimize the amount of tool grinding to have a shaving edge.

Gears are cut by combining the Shaper with a robust dividing head.  The quality of the gear has everything to do with your ability to machine an accurate cutting tool.  This is where having a repository, i.e. Shaper Board, for sharing of techniques and jig designs is important.

The Shaper is also very good at making dovetails and grooves in general.  Whether you use your Milling Machine or your Shaper depends largely on what you have.  The following piece for holding a DRO scale on my lathe was done entirely on the Shaper as an exercise.

It could be done on the Milling Machine but the point was to develop a wee bit of sharpening ability.

No - I do not know the person who slapped on the yellow paint.

Raymond

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
Re: New member:
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 05:04:07 AM »
Thanks for the insight Raymond, a very versatile machine indeed  :thumbup:  I hadn't quite realised the size of your machine until I saw picture on another thread (moving it with a tractor), that's a big piece of kit. Look forward to seeing more of what you get up to.

CC

Offline jgroom

• Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 01:59:06 PM »
Welcome RDL!! :wave:

You gotta love a shaper!! :headbang:  It taxes the gray cells occasionally on setups, but they can do almost anything.  My current machine is a little 7" Lindgren

It's still in the rebuild phase, but soon....  :ddb:

Jeff

Offline RDL

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 03:32:51 PM »
It's still in the rebuild phase, but soon....  :ddb:

Jeff

Thank you.  Your Shaper looks good. 

The sharpening profiles for our tools will be the same.  The shaving profile that gives the smoothest finish is not on the table below.

What requires rebuilding?  Is the vise up to holding material for a Shaper?  I would think that machine still has a lot of umph.

Raymond

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 06:29:25 AM »
Nice sturdy looking shaper you have there......be great to see some more shaper projects on this forum...... :headbang:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline RDL

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 02:37:00 PM »
Nice post regarding the tool shape - can I ask, what would it look like for cutting a dovetail?  ...
Chris

Chris,  This is something that I copied which is certainly a good place to start.  One area that really needs exploration, for me at least, are sharpening jigs.  So far I have done it freehand (a lot of trial and error & error & error mixed with perseverence) but there should be an easier entry level for those of us who are not grinder artists.
Raymond

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Re: Shaper Info
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 04:55:58 PM »
Hi Guys, I have moved some of the posts from the intro section to here where they will be more easily found by the search engine.

Sorry if it's a little dis-jointed, there is some good info here, please keep the thread going...... :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 05:24:23 PM »
I have a number of cranked and variously hooked tools that came with mine and presumably were made for shapers, are shaper tools still available? Where?
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 04:13:02 AM »
Hi John, I've been trying to find one of these cranked tools for a while with no luck at all

If anyone has one they'd like to sell please let me know.... :thumbup:

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 04:56:47 AM »
Darren, Sally has one of those.  It might be a shop job, it is so well made it is hard to tell but it is simple enough to make yourself if you can weld two bits together, and I know you can do that!

Someone posted they had seen one machined out of a bicycle pedal crank.
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 05:02:40 AM »
Yes I suppose I could make one John, looks simple enough..... :dremel:

Be nice to find a couple though, they can't be worth much these days........ :scratch:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 03:12:54 PM »
I was just fiddling with my shaper to see if I could mod/adapt it so that the clapper could be locked.
I found that the clapper swivel pin is in fact a taper, so just tighten the nut and it's locked.......

What a nice surprise...... :)

Just thought I'd share my discovery....... :ddb:

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 04:51:02 PM »
If any one is interested there are currently 2 x Boxford Shapers on ebay at £50, less than an hour to go and to be collected by Friday, shame I just don't have the room

Clicky Linky

and here's a picture for reference as the link will expire in a in a few days.

CC

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 05:10:50 PM »
:D good find - I bet they will only go for the £50 if they go at all! One is a 3ph but the other is 240v. Asking to be collected before this Friday or for that price I`d be interested in another and converting it from an under driven unit. Only thing I would say, is that for £50, I`ve seen a few go since I bought mine for £80-150 in better condition and with decent vice etc. Still excellent price for a project....

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 05:43:16 PM »
Hi guys

I just clicked on the link out of curosity and there was only 1 minute to go so watched it count down. Here is the final result. Someone got a good deal.

Ended: 29 Sep, 2009 22:38:39 BST

Bid history: 2 bids

Winning bid: £51.10   :ddb: :ddb:

Cheers :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2009, 05:51:50 PM »
Yup, that was the 3ph as well...

Single phase:
Ended: 29 Sep, 200922:32:31 BST
Bid history: 1 bid
Winning bid: £50.00

Wonder if it was the same winner taken both???

Anyway, I`m just about to place the offer price for this bad boy...  :whip: :whip:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Boxford-7-Shaping-Machine_W0QQitemZ380131740149QQcategoryZ112399QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BIEW%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D11%26ps%3D63

Maybe I should sell mine at that price!!