Author Topic: How a Project Regresses  (Read 4665 times)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
How a Project Regresses
« on: September 24, 2009, 05:20:15 PM »
Ok, I want to know if anybody has had days like this. You know the one. You've regressed to a point in your project to the point you wonder if it's all worth it. Well I think I've gotten just about there. At last count I've regressed about 4 steps to were I am now. The picture below shows the fourth step of regression.

That's a pic of the Bridgeport. I needed to mill a couple of parts parallel. I remember I had these rollers which are ground. So I used them as backstops for the project that got me to this position.

Let me start at the beginning. Some of you can recall I have a R/C nitro powered model speed boat. It's a lot of fun to play with but when it runs out of fuel hundreds of feet from the shore/dock or flips over it's a bit of a pain to retrieve. So I got this brilliant idea that I would build a rescue boat to get it. Ok. I dreamed up an idea and proceeded to get the materials together. I'm going to build it out of Styrofoam. So I get the Styrofoam out and proceed to cut a large sheet into the workable sizes I need. Not bad so far. Now I'll need a cut out to put the motors in, the receiver, batteries and other assorted sundry stuff. I proceed to start cutting with a knife. Use some sand paper to clean up. But it just doesn't look right. What I need is a foam cutter. Yup, you guessed it, next project foam cutter.

So I get the material together for the foam cutter. Two days later I've got the basic structure together. Trouble is the arm that holds the wire perpendicular to the table is tilted. Plus it's way to short. Ok, so what next. Brilliant idea. Use some of that 1/4" thick aluminum and make the overhead arm to hold the wire. Great idea. So out comes some 1/4" plate I cut it to 1 5/8" width. Now I want to clean up the sides. Well, do it in the Bridgeport. So I start to set up the Bridgeport and low and behold I discover I've only got 4 T-nuts and 2 clamp bolts. That's were the picture, above, comes in.

So the next question is do I make the T-nuts I needed anyway, which would regress the main project one more point? Or do I improvise? Might need to go see my dad and borrow his bolt kit just to get this job back on track.

So, what have I shown here? I really don't know, but I do know one thing. One project can lead to another and another and a…………. Well you get the idea.

By the way I am documenting what I'm doing and it will be posted. Might take a while at this rate, but it sure is fun.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline kvom

Re: How a Project Regresses
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 06:24:14 PM »
The good thing about t-nuts is that you can make 3 or 4 about as fast as you can make 1 or 2.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 06:29:50 PM »
make the t-nuts...they sure are handy little blighters.... :)
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 07:02:15 PM »
You can't have to many T nuts

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Stew

A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline websterz

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 08:17:45 PM »
I feel your pain Bernd. I am working on a 3rd level sub-project now making toolholders for the lathe so I can cut material for building a power hacksaw so I have something to cut material with that I need for making toolholders for my lathe. I need a vacation. Come to think of it I could also use some extra T-nuts.  :bang:
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 01:25:15 AM »
Bernd

Make the T nuts. Make a couple more than you figure you will need. This way you will never have the lack of a T nut cost you time again and you will be ahead of the game. Some of these little projects are more important than others. You just have to learn to pick and choose.  :doh:
Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 08:44:49 AM »
In some cases it's easier and quicker to just say the hell with it and buy the tool/fixture.  But t-nuts are something you're going to need plenty of, are dead simple to make, and pretty quicky hacked out.  Make a bunch (like kvom said, it's almost as fast as just a couple) and have them on hand.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 09:23:57 AM »
Ok, so that means on Moday I'm going to have to go and buy some metal to make them.

Anybody have a 1/2-13 tap?  :lol:  :lol:

Bernd

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 10:08:17 AM »
Don't forget to get some nuts and threaded rod while you're at it!

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 08:55:12 PM »
Don't forget to get some nuts and threaded rod while you're at it!

I've got my n............. Oh. Yeh, threaded rod and nuts. Ok  :ddb:

How 'boot washers for under the nuts.  :lol: (That just sounds to funny)

Bernd

Hey, Rog, how's your projects going? :proj:

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 08:45:33 AM »
How 'boot washers for under the nuts.  :lol: (That just sounds to funny)

All the sets I've seen use a flange nut.  No separate washers to get lost under the bench.  Try McMaster-Carr.

Hey, Rog, how's your projects going?

I haven't gotten in much shop time lately.  Too busy with computers these days.  One disadvantage of being the local computer geek is having everyone come to you for everything from installing new RAM and video cards to complete system rebuilds.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 03:42:18 PM »
All the sets I've seen use a flange nut.  No separate washers to get lost under the bench.  Try McMaster-Carr.

Yeh, I know. Think I'll make some up and case harden them, al Guy Lautard.  :)  Did get some rectangle bars today, plus a piece of hot rolled 1/4" X 4 X 7ft. All came to 40lbs. times 83cents per pound. Total was $33.33 plus tax $2.67 for a grand total of $36.00.

I haven't gotten in much shop time lately.  Too busy with computers these days.  One disadvantage of being the local computer geek is having everyone come to you for everything from installing new RAM and video cards to complete system rebuilds.

Bumber. I know what your up against.

Bernd