Author Topic: Mystery Tool  (Read 3774 times)

Offline tinkerer

Mystery Tool
« on: September 24, 2009, 11:36:20 AM »
Here are a few pics of the tool. Stew was right that one of the other pieces went with the main tool. I will show them seperated and then together.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 11:40:07 AM by tinkerer »
Tink

The desire accomplished is sweet to the soul.
Prov 13:19

bogstandard

Re: Mystery Tool
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 02:09:24 PM »
One thing I can definitely tell you.

It isn't an original fitting from your lathe. With the curved forms to the castings, they come from a much earlier or a much more expensive machine. If you look at your lathe, all the fittings that are on it are just straight sided castings, very easy to produce.

The finger sticking up I think would sit in a groove of some sorts, and looking at the same bit of casting the finger is on, there is an angled cut. So maybe this was something made up for feeding something with a slot in it, and cutting some sort of angle onto the part.

I have a box of bits just like that, most probably made to do one specific job, just the once, then thrown under the bench. You will find most modellers pick things up like that, thinking it will come in useful one day.

Bogs
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 02:11:42 PM by bogstandard »

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 04:26:47 PM »
One thing I can definitely tell you.

It isn't an original fitting from your lathe. With the curved forms to the castings, they come from a much earlier or a much more expensive machine. If you look at your lathe, all the fittings that are on it are just straight sided castings, very easy to produce.

The finger sticking up I think would sit in a groove of some sorts, and looking at the same bit of casting the finger is on, there is an angled cut. So maybe this was something made up for feeding something with a slot in it, and cutting some sort of angle onto the part.

I have a box of bits just like that, most probably made to do one specific job, just the once, then thrown under the bench. You will find most modellers pick things up like that, thinking it will come in useful one day.

Bogs

Thanks Bogs,
I think you are right on. I think there are several other bits (I am slowly catching on to the language now) that I will never have a use for, other than maybe modifying for another use. I have read most of your posts and you do some incredible work. :bow: Not that others on here don't. Most everything I see here impresses me greatly and intimidates me to some degree. I am looking forward to getting some tooling made and getting to work on some pretty stuff.
Tink

bogstandard

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 04:49:40 PM »
Tink,

Never, ever, be intimidated, everyone on here is only a person, so we are all equal. The difference is that some of us have a little more experience than others.

If you really want to do something, then you can, it is just a matter of time to gain your experience, and asking the right questions when you get stuck. You should get all the help you need.

Bogs

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 07:13:44 PM »
Thanks for the encouraging words. Lots of things I will have to figure out. feed speeds and cut depth for different alloys etc. I'll be pickin brains for quite some time.
Tink