Author Topic: More tools  (Read 4772 times)

Offline tinkerer

More tools
« on: September 23, 2009, 09:38:44 PM »
The tool in the center of the picture is one I have no idea what its function is. The thing on the left is a lathe dog I believe. The tool next to it is another I don't know what it is for. The three claps go to a couple of V blocks, but I don't know how they pertain to the lathe.
Tink

The desire accomplished is sweet to the soul.
Prov 13:19

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
Re: More tools
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 09:45:02 PM »
I would say you are right on the lathe dog,  the bits in the middle I dont know but they might be adjustable carriage stops or parts of something bigger (and highly desirable) like a taper attachement, I am sure someone will know.  The saddle clamp things are I think used to hold round stock in a vee block.

Hey! I dont know much about this subject and most of those who post here are tucked up in their beds dreaming of England so I get to have a little say! :lol:
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 11:20:41 PM »
I concur with the lathe dog. The clamps that work with the V-blocks.... well, you can do some milling on a lathe with the cross slide... so use your imagination on work holding solutions.

As far as the middle piece goes... I would like to see more pictures if you can. I am sure Bogs probably knows what it is for and will tell us when he logs in.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 11:38:50 PM »
I concur with the lathe dog. The clamps that work with the V-blocks.... well, you can do some milling on a lathe with the cross slide... so use your imagination on work holding solutions.

As far as the middle piece goes... I would like to see more pictures if you can. I am sure Bogs probably knows what it is for and will tell us when he logs in.

Eric

I found an article from the 40's that shows how to build a milling devise. Seems simple to make. Then I can use it to make a better milling devise. My interest is in making writing instruments with exotic metals and designs. I will post a couple more pictures of the two devises. The previous owner was a gunsmith and it may be I will never make use of some of the tools. You wouldn't believe the collection of pistols he had. :bugeye:
Tink

The desire accomplished is sweet to the soul.
Prov 13:19

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 02:24:29 AM »
Hi Tink

I'd agree with the chaps on the dog etc, but no idea for the mystery item in the middle  :scratch:, the stuff under the bench looks like you've got some centres and sleeves on the right, the square thing in the middle looks like some sort of table, it wouldn't fit on the mystery item would it ?, the thing on the right looks like some sort of detent along with a another small driving dog.

Hope that helps

Have fun

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 09:12:49 AM »
Tink,

The first is definatly a lathe dog. Second piece to the right could be an adjutable stop. Third part over looks like the rest of the stop. The three right hand parts are clamps for Vee blocks. Looks like two different sizes also.

You said that the guy was a gun smith. I would think then any tools that you have may have been modified or purpose built for that application. I'm sure there are some interesting tools there.

I saw some large milling cutters in one of the posts. Looks like maybe there was large horizontal mill available to the orginal owner to the tools.

Nice find by the way and I'd keep all the tools. Shipping charges to the UK are to high and just not worth it to send to Canada. Now Eric coming down and steeling.........I mean collecting some.....maybe. See his lathe is to small for such large tooling.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

So this winter when it gets to cold up here in new York I'll be down with the truck and trailer and relieve you af all that metal sracp.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Regards,
Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds