Author Topic: Tools that came with the lathe  (Read 5680 times)

Offline tinkerer

Tools that came with the lathe
« on: September 23, 2009, 09:14:19 PM »
These are some of the tools that came with the lathe. I know what some of them do, but not all of them.

There are a lot more, but Iwill have questions about them and do one at a time.
Tink

The desire accomplished is sweet to the soul.
Prov 13:19

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
Re: Tools that came with the lathe
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 09:37:12 PM »
I am sorry Tinkerer but most of that stuff is rubbish and you should send it to me for safe disposal! :med:

Hmmmm... seems like you scored some nice bits there,  I can see a milling slide, vee blocks, collets, various milling cutters.  I am sure someone here will know more than I do and give you good advice on every piece.

From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 09:46:11 PM »
The milling slide is too small for the cross slide and too big for the compound. I'll post a pic of it mounted later and you will be able t see the issue with it. I can't find the tool that the collets mount in. Here are a couple of pictures of the drilling stuff and cutters.

Tink

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 09:54:18 PM »
tinkerer

I don't know what you paid for the lathe or the extra bits'n pieces but you seem to have a very good assortment of the extras that are required when using the lathe. Given a bit of time you will get them al sorted out.  :ddb: :ddb:

If you decide to dispose of it by sending it to John you could save some shipping charges and just ship to Canada instead ! :lol: :lol:

Cheers :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 11:16:58 PM »
tinkerer

I don't know what you paid for the lathe or the extra bits'n pieces but you seem to have a very good assortment of the extras that are required when using the lathe. Given a bit of time you will get them al sorted out.  :ddb: :ddb:

If you decide to dispose of it by sending it to John you could save some shipping charges and just ship to Canada instead ! :lol: :lol:

Cheers :beer:

Don

Six years ago, my neighbor had to go to assisted care and his son sold the house and a lot of the furnishings. He offered me the lathe for $250.00 and when I walked down to pay him and pick it up, he told me he just couldn't part with it, sentimental reasons.  :( I understood and never gave it another thought.

A couple of months ago I was splitting logs from a large Silver Maple I had taken down and the son came through the neighborhood just to see how it was doing and saw me. He stopped and we talked for a while, his dad had passed away three years ago. He remembered when the maple was planted 42 years ago. He asked if I was still interested in the lathe. I didn't hesitate and the next day he delivered it. :D I figure there must be a devine plan involved for that to happen. :bow: Given that, my widow will have to decide the recipient. :lol:
Tink

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 11:17:30 PM »
Wow you got some nice bits! Thats a hefty start to a good collection!

Ignore John and Don, I will save you the shipping by driving down to take it off your hands!  :lol:

Anyway, you got a great start on some tooling!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 02:34:38 AM »
You've got a nice collection of tools there, some I recognise some I don't, engineers have an  habit of making specific tools for specific jobs just to meet there requirements so we may never find out there intended use, but you can always adapt them to your own use.

I just love tools like these they seem to retain something of the person who made and owned them.

Just enjoy them

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline kellswaterri

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 09:58:42 AM »
Nice collection of bits and bobs there...the previous owner may well have been into aircraft assembly build cos I recognise those countersink cutters with the screwed ends for use in air tooling...HiLocks... Rivets e/t/c.
                                               John.