Author Topic: My lathe  (Read 11194 times)

Offline tinkerer

My lathe
« on: September 23, 2009, 09:01:58 PM »

Testing how to put in a picture. This is the lathe. Sears Craftsman 549-2892

Tink
Tink

The desire accomplished is sweet to the soul.
Prov 13:19

Offline tinkerer

Re: My lathe
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 09:07:34 PM »
replying to my own post to say  :nrocks: and easy to put in pics. :ddb: Brace yourselves for a blitz. The small metal pulley on top is the first thing I made.
That put a machine back into service after four years setting idle.
Tink

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 09:40:02 PM »
That looks a nice tidy job! :thumbup:  Is that a router lathe you have it on?  Maybe making curly chair legs etc?
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 09:43:52 PM »
tinkerer

Glad to see you posting some pictures of your shop and equipment. I see that you a spindle turner. That may not be the correct name but I think you know what I mean. I imagine that you used it to turn those 2 fancy legs for the left hand side of the bench under the lathe. I always wanted one but never managed to pick one up. I guess if you have the patience with them you can make some fantastic pieces with them. Next time that you are using it post up a few pictures of it in action for the guys. :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline chuck foster

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 09:59:51 PM »
well you see you can learn something new every day (well i do cause i don't know much) never knew sears made or sold a metal lathe.

looks to be a nice little lathe.

thanks for posting the picture tink.

chuck  :wave:
hitting and missing all the way :)

former hmem member

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 10:53:37 PM »
tinkerer

Glad to see you posting some pictures of your shop and equipment. I see that you a spindle turner. That may not be the correct name but I think you know what I mean. I imagine that you used it to turn those 2 fancy legs for the left hand side of the bench under the lathe. I always wanted one but never managed to pick one up. I guess if you have the patience with them you can make some fantastic pieces with them. Next time that you are using it post up a few pictures of it in action for the guys. :D :D

Don

Yes Don, those were made on the machine (Sears Routercrafter) that I made the pulley for. It is back in service and I will make some pics of it in action. Really easy to use machine and unlimited designs available. :thumbup: Things that are impossible on the wood lathe.
Tink

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 10:58:36 PM »
That looks a nice tidy job! :thumbup:  Is that a router lathe you have it on?  Maybe making curly chair legs etc?

Yep Yep, router lathe it is. A cool tool for sure. spindles between shelves on a book case are a piece of cake with this thing. I'll try to dig out the CD with some pics of things and post them.

Tink
Tink

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 11:10:30 PM »
Hmmmm, you are giving me ideas Tink.  Maybe I could mount a router on my compound and work out some sort of ratios between feed and spindle speed to do router lathe jobs on my lathe! :coffee:

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 11:14:51 PM »
I knew sears made lathes at one time (didn't they become some other brand?) never saw one in person. Nice looking bit of kit ya got there. Just curious, whats the swing and center to center? looks like you got  more than my mini!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 11:23:45 PM »
Hmmmm, you are giving me ideas Tink.  Maybe I could mount a router on my compound and work out some sort of ratios between feed and spindle speed to do router lathe jobs on my lathe! :coffee:

Yeah John, you only need to make the tail stock so it will shift up and down for the tapers. Some threading gears for really big threads, a 24 point indexer on the face plate, an itty bitty router or a monster cross slide. :lol: Or you could get one off ebay for about 50 bucks. :smart:
Tink

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 11:27:57 PM »
I knew sears made lathes at one time (didn't they become some other brand?) never saw one in person. Nice looking bit of kit ya got there. Just curious, whats the swing and center to center? looks like you got  more than my mini!

Eric

Sears didn't offer them very long. They were rebadged as the Emco Compact 8 according to one website I visited. It is Austrian made and seems to be a quality machine. I am pretty sure it is 8" X 16" swing and between centers
Tink

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 11:38:09 PM »
You are tempting me Tink! :coffee:

Lets think now...... :scratch:  Hmmmm....  I could turn a cable drum thing and mount it on the outer end of the spindle and run a cable from there to the carriage, then I could put the spindle in neutral, select a modest feed rate, put some wood in the chuck and one of my routers on the cross slide (I think my lathe could handle even the half inch router), then start her up!  The lathe motor would drive the feed screw via the selected ratios which would move the carriage which would pull the cable which would turn the drum which would slowly rotate the lathe spindle!  Hmmmmmmmm  :coffee:

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 11:49:30 PM »

Lets think now...... :scratch:  Hmmmm....  I could turn a cable drum thing and mount it on the outer end of the spindle and run a cable from there to the carriage, then I could put the spindle in neutral, select a modest feed rate, put some wood in the chuck and one of my routers on the cross slide (I think my lathe could handle even the half inch router), then start her up!  The lathe motor would drive the feed screw via the selected ratios which would move the carriage which would pull the cable which would turn the drum which would slowly rotate the lathe spindle!  Hmmmmmmmm  :coffee:

By Jove John, I think you got it. :smart: But, why wood? Use a end mill and just think what brass would look like with those designs. :bugeye: You could inlay the grooves with anodized aluminum any color, endless combinations of metals. :lol:
I gotta go to bed. Long day tomorrow getting ready for Friday night lights.
Tink

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 01:02:47 AM »

John

I can smell them old gears a burning all the way up here on the other side of the planet. The router is what does all the work. The Lathe just slowly turns the stock around and moves the router horizontaly at the same time. I saw some plans in a book at the library one time that showed how to make one. They used various sized bicycle sprockets and chain and cranks to obtain different ratios. It really was quite neat how they did it all. If I can find the name of the book I'll post it up for you.

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 01:56:08 AM »
Ha ha,  too many projects not finished already! :lol:

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2009, 09:18:46 AM »
Tink,

I'm glad you got to get the pics to post. Nice pics for clarity. I do have to put in a "but" though. That picture of the lathe would benifit greatly if you could put a light source behind you and then take the same shot. We would be able to see much more detail of the  lathe.

Regards,
Bernd

Edit:

Tink,

I took the liberty of lighting up the picture through some photosoftware. Hope you don't mind.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 09:35:07 AM by Bernd »
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2009, 11:29:04 AM »
Bernd,
Yes, bad pic. :bang: I will take another :thumbup: The light has to go. It is always in my eyes and I need light from overhead. I will take care of that soon.
Tink