Author Topic: Hi all  (Read 5564 times)

Offline tinkerer

Hi all
« on: September 23, 2009, 06:40:34 PM »
Hello from Georgia,

Just getting registered has been quite an adventure, but I finally did it.

I have been reading the forum for awhile now and am astounded at the wealth of experience and willingness to share knowledge and techniques. :clap:

To share a little about me, after discharge, I built cars for a year and could not stand the boredom and quit. I moved to Ga. And built new airplanes for 15 years then moved to an airline and repaired them for 25 years. I worked with the sheet metal repair side of it a good bit of that time.

I retired in 2003 and started woodworking, building stereo centers, coffee tables, bent lamp etc. I also learned pen making and made a lot of them.

I recently acquired a Sears Craftsman 5492892 metal lathe. From what I have been told, it is the same lathe as the emco compact 8.  The lathe set in storage for six years, but was well taken care of. I started checking metal working forums and individual’s website’s to gain some knowledge and confidence. The lathe came with a lot of tools, but I have identified many that I will need to acquire and have not identified many that I have.

I also will need to build something to allow milling.  I have a couple of issues I will discuss in another area.
Now that I have bored you to death, I will talk with you later.

Tink
Tink

The desire accomplished is sweet to the soul.
Prov 13:19

bogstandard

Re: Hi all
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 06:45:59 PM »
Tink,

As you have already noticed, we will help and discuss almost anything on here, and I am sure the lads will help you out on vertical slide selection to get that bit of milling done.

Just carry on reading, ask a question when you want, and stick your nose in if you feel you can help or make and amusing comment.

Bogs

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 06:46:34 PM »
Now that I have bored you to death, ............

Not possible Tink, have you read some of the stuff on here  :bugeye: .............. just kidding of course   ::)

Welcome to the board, glad you found the time to pop in, just pull up a chair and enjoy  :beer:

CC

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 06:47:09 PM »
Welcome.

Post pictures of what you can't identify, and I'm sure several people will tell you what they are.

Some of them may even be right!!  :lol:

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • Software For People Who Build Things
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 06:57:51 PM »
Here in the States I've never seen a lathe milling attachment by anyone other than Palmgren.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=240-2941&PMPXNO=4840108&PARTPG=INLMK3

I have one and used it a lot before getting my mill.  They work but they're a royal PITA.  If you plan on doing any work that will require extensive mill work, get a proper mill.
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 08:01:54 PM »
Hi Tink, welcome to the forum. It has been mentioned, but put some pictures up of the tooling and I'm sure someone will help.

Milling on the lathe is really a get-you-by.....but if it's all you have then so be it. Some people have managed great things that way.

Have fun.....that's what it's all about..... :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 08:17:31 PM »
Welcome to the collective as we like to call it.  :borg:

As you've already surmised we like pictures, and lots of them. Let us see some of that other stuff you do besides metal mangaling.  :lol:

And remember  :mmr:  :nrocks:  :mmr:  :nrocks:

and you will also get a bad case of  :proj: and to that we like to add a "nana"  :ddb:

So enjoy yourself and jump in any time you feel like you have something to say.  :headbang:

Regards,
Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 08:50:38 PM »
Just back from church. Thank you all for the warm welcome. Pictures coming fast.
Tink

The desire accomplished is sweet to the soul.
Prov 13:19

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 10:06:11 PM »
tinkerer

Welcome to MadModder, glad that  you decided to join us. We are a friendly bunch and love to look at pictures so  :worthless:
If you are like most of the others you will get  :proj: for which the only cure is to make it. If you have any questions someone on here will be happy to offer an answer or at the least an opinion. Have fun and enjoy your stay. :D :D :mmr:

Cheers :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 11:04:07 PM »
Hiya Tink!

Glad we finally got that all worked out. Anyway, welcome to the collective :borg:

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 01:34:46 AM »
Hi Tink, a warm welcome to the club  :wave:

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 02:14:50 AM »
Hi Tink welcome aboard the cube  :borg:

I see the chaps have introduced you to our most of our smileis, looking forward to your contributions and help.

Have fun

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave: