Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

running single phase motor backwards

(1/6) > >>

jim:
i've got an old pillar drill motor, already got one on the bench running polishing mops, but it runs "the wrong way" ie, i'm having to work left handed.

the new motor runs the same way :scratch:

its a single phase one, with a starter thing on the side.

i've read that swapping some wires over will get it to run backwards, but i can't see which ones :scratch:

if i can't run it backwards, i can probably put the cooling fan on the other end, but i'll be running a much thinner out put shaft.

can anyone point me inthe right direction, please :thumbup:

Darren:
Can you take a picture of the wiring connections...a clear one please

It's easy to change the direction, just want to see the wiring before giving any advice as it can be different between types of motors.... :thumbup:

Bluechip:
J-o-c

If you look on the inside the connection box cover, there is often a diagram pasted there. Although they do have a habit of falling off.

Otherwise it's Darren & a Pic.  :D

Dave BC

jim:
thanks Darren, i'll get some photos done :thumbup:

John Hill:
Yes, it should be easy but maybe not depending on if the makers ever intended for it to be reversed.  If it is clearly marked inside the terminal box then go for it but double check and do before and after photos for showing here (before turning the power on!), otherwise put the motor under your arm and take it to an electrical repair shop for a verdict.  

Safety first.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version