Author Topic: Shaper on the Bay  (Read 10479 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Shaper on the Bay
« on: September 18, 2009, 11:12:45 AM »
Please tell me someone wants this, the vice alone should be worth twice the opening bid....

I keep showing tools on here and no-one seems to respond......then someone a couple of weeks later asks where can I can one of these from?

eg I showed a power hacksaw I was selling, £40........no takers here....
Then there was a local bandsaw that I said I could collect and keep for someone, £26 ..... nobody showed any interest.....

And then we have posts from people who want to buy  :doh:

Please someone get this shaper, it looks too good to miss. If it were nearer I'd have it and sell my Atlas......

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180407252200&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 11:19:59 AM by Darren »
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Re: Shaper on the Bay
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 11:16:57 AM »
And for the record my bandsaw cost me £16, my pillar drill £30, Bloomin big power hacksaw £30, is was actually free but I made a donation to the cause. I recently bought a really nice old floor standing pillar drill for £2 but let it go before bringing it home as I didn't really need it.
I just hate to see these tools going for scrap, that's who the main buyer is at my local auctions.

I find quite a few tools over time, I could gather them up but only if others are interested.....cos I can't home them.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 11:18:58 AM by Darren »
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 01:36:50 PM »
I keep showing tools on here and no-one seems to respond

You're on the wrong side of the pond!  Find me one over here.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 01:56:19 PM »
I`ve got one .... but it is tempting and very local!

Offline 28ten

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 02:59:25 PM »
To be fair a lot of people don't have the space for a lot of these machines. I was offered a Taylor hobson pantograph engraver (which for me would be great for cutting parts) but I just don't have anywhere to put it :( I do think that if you have the space then there are some real bargains to be had
If it ain't broke, i'll fix it until it is.

Offline Gerhard Olivier

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 03:05:18 PM »
Think it would fit in my Fiesta???  I'd love a shaper but no space.

Gerhard
Guernsey
Channel Islands

Offline 28ten

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 03:16:39 PM »
Think it would fit in my Fiesta???  I'd love a shaper but no space.

Gerhard
It might if you don't mind doing a wheelie  :lol:
If it ain't broke, i'll fix it until it is.

Offline SKIPRAT

• Gainsborough Lincolnshire England
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 04:59:35 PM »
Hi darren

i have been reading your post about the shaper on fleabay its a shame that nobody is interested in the old iron out there! I have an old power hacksaw that i saved from the scrappy (there is a post about it in the machinery section)
and also have an old backgeared Q & S pillar drill that goes down to 86 RPM with loads of torque ( must do a post about it ) like your post about the pollard pillar drill. what the hell if it does the job does it matter how old it is.

Cheers Paul
One Mans Junk Is Another Man's Treasure G6FOW

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 07:10:20 PM »
I've never really seen the attraction with shapers until I've seen some of the work you have done darren. We used to have a huge one at our club  but it was in the basement so when we got rid of it, we ground it up into chunks and scrapped it! There's a nice small boxford one dwon there now.

I have space for it, but I have a centec 2a milling machine that I will be selling myself shortly, it's a great machine, but my chinesey vertical will do everything the centec can.

It's a shame I didn't have my eyes more open before as I am looking for a power hacksaw! Floor standing pillar drill would be nice too!  :doh:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 07:51:18 PM »
Nick, I haven't done much with my shaper, but from what I have done I have come to realise they are very much undervalued as a serious workshop tool. I will be doing more with it later. At the moment I have other priorities and workshop time is at a premium.

Shapers remove metal effortlessly, even with hard materials that a mill can struggle with. They can be slow and hence I understand why modern machine shops shy away from them. Tooling for shapers is seriously cheap and as such this can be a great asset to the home workshop.
Once you have used one you would realise that they can often leave a better finish than a mill in most circumstances. My shaper is only a small type, but compared to other small home machines it really shines. I'd love to find a bigger one.

The sad thing about all the machinery being melted down to make whatever junk is made from it is the fact that once it's gone it's well and truly gone for good. I doubt anyone is making new machines to the quality of the old stuff any more. Sure old machinery can be worn. Some can be salvaged to live again and some should be rightly left to pass on.

Take my Beaver mill, I paid just £400 for it and it's got more than my lifetime left in it. Forget Ebay it's just a plain silly market place. You can find the odd bargain occasionally, but it's the real live auctions you need to buying from.

You may have guessed by now that I refuse to spend silly money chasing tools. There is a lot of good stuff out there still to be had and mostly the sellers are only looking for scrap values.

In fact it was my local scrap man that put me onto my shaper. He was asked by the owner to clear it out to make room. The owner wasn't even trying to sell it. Luckily the scrap man suggested that the owner tried to find a new home for it and promptly gave me a bell. I offered £60 for it as a token of goodwill and thus it changed hands.

The Quaters and Smith saw again was about to be scrapped. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

I believe Chris got his shaper for free, or as good as. But he's being a bit slow getting his butt moving. He'll have a shock when he gets going with it and makes something.  :thumbup:

Yep, give me an old lump of iron any day to keep the old git happy.... :)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 07:56:44 PM »
I'd imagine the Centec is very rigid compared to your other mill? But then I can't remember what you have now?

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 04:37:30 AM »
Darren,

You're right I agree. And what's worse is, now I have space to keep them! The mill just won't get used though ... that's the one, it's on it's own cabinet too but unfortunately it doesn't have the raiser block and vertical head which are like hens teeth, and worth a small fortune. If I had the head, I probably wouldn't need the other milling machine. The only problem is, it's big and heavy but relatively small capacity. I've often thought about keeping it for specific jobs, but if I can get a few hundred quid for it, that money could be better spent on a saw, rotary table, QCTP etc.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 05:47:43 AM »
Re-the Centec......

How about adding another spindle on top and gearing it up to make a surface grinder?

I'm sure you could adapt the hand feeds to lever operated

As a horizontal machine only it might not realize much in the way of funds......but then it might  :lol:

Where are you in the UK......out of interest.. :scratch:

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 06:37:38 AM »
I'm in the north east Darren, near Darlington.

I've never thought of that ... what a brilliant idea! Actually, it has a pulley on the back intended to drive the vertical head, it would be so easy to put a spindle on there. Also, the table is already lever operated, you swing down a kind of half nut and there's a tapered lever that fits to side of table, there's a rack and pinion underneath so it's already there.

It won't really have the accuracy required for grinding but it is a very accurate machine as far as mills go. Also, no powered cross feed, would need some sort of clever ratchet mechanism!

Hmm ... food for thought!!! Will take some pics of it at some point to show you what I'm talking about.

Nick

Offline Pelallito

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2009, 08:22:57 AM »
I would love to have both a shaper and a milling machine now. :bang: Someday I will. :thumbup: If you find something on this side I will look at it.
Thanks for posting.
Regards,
Fred

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2009, 08:46:29 AM »
Nick, I'll pick it up on my next trip to Scarborough to see my mate with the Harrison lathe  :thumbup:  

Fred, on this side of where? The US? I belive you have more surplus machines at better prices than we do.....

Why not ask here...you may get lucky......http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/showthread.php?t=188834
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 08:49:44 AM by Darren »