Author Topic: power hacksaw  (Read 5523 times)

Offline SKIPRAT

• Gainsborough Lincolnshire England
power hacksaw
« on: September 16, 2009, 05:35:02 PM »
Hi All

As i said i thought i would say a bit about one of the interesting machines i saved from the scrapman .It is a power hacksaw of 6inch capacity a solid lump of iron the make is AJAX built quite a few years ago. The interesting bit about it is that it has a variable powered downfeed in the form of ratchet and pawl  mechanism, different as most of the old power hacksaws i have seen the saw arm moves down by gravity .it also has a coolant system (most get a belt for it)
and i  got to know about it from a mate whose works where scrapping it and replacing it with a band saw and made
enquires about it then bought it from them, had to" pay " virtually scrap price for it though. Stock cutting up to 50mm is done with an evolution Rage 4 TCT chop saw above that i get out this old gal. the photos show it on a trolley the reason for this is that i am reorganising my workshop (6X10 shed)and it's easier to move about on wheels untill it has a permanent home.It just goes to show that there is a lot of old machinery out there some of it a bit slow by modern standards, what the hell it does the job for me now and for a long time to come.
Cheers Paul

« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 05:41:42 PM by SKIPRAT »
One Mans Junk Is Another Man's Treasure G6FOW

Offline websterz

Re: power hacksaw
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 06:18:18 PM »
That little gal is a beauty...I bet she has a lot of good years left in her too! Can't beat old iron.  :thumbup: Nice to see her saved from the scrapper!
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: power hacksaw
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 08:11:49 PM »
Boy, the things that follow you home. You lucky rat you.  :lol:

Hey as long as it cuts square and saves your arm it doesn't matter how old they are.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds