Author Topic: Humble project  (Read 7047 times)

Offline Gerhard Olivier

Humble project
« on: September 15, 2009, 04:21:38 PM »
Shop time is limited as im very far behind in my work for Uni

so little things-

Made this, the body is ALi ( was anodized before I cut it off) from B&Q
4mm silver steel tip hardened.

Feels nice and light and works a treat

Gerhard
Guernsey
Channel Islands

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Re: Humble project
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 04:24:58 PM »
Nice job Gerhard a real good finish

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cheers
 :beer:
Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline arnoldb

• Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 04:45:53 PM »
Lovely scribe Gerhard !  :clap: :clap:
 :beer:, Arnold

Offline chuck foster

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 08:56:01 PM »
very nice scriber gerhard  :thumbup: :thumbup:

what kind of knurler did you use??

chuck  :wave:
hitting and missing all the way :)

former hmem member

Offline Gerhard Olivier

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 03:14:08 PM »
Thanks  Stew, Arnold, Chuck

The knurl

I dont like the length of the knurl i would prefer to redisign it to have the hinge at the other end so the knurls are closer to the toolpost ???  Maybe a later project  :proj: Arnold you wanted to make one as well -Maybe i will wait and see what you come up with first.

Gerhard
Guernsey
Channel Islands

bogstandard

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 05:16:01 PM »
Gerhard,

You seem to have the larger sized version of that scissor knurl. There are smaller ones available that go down to nothing.

Both types are shown at the bottom of the page on here.

http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2frdgtools.co.uk%2f&WD=knurl&PN=copy_of_Knurling_Tools.html%23a70#a70

Looking at your one, if you move the arms down into the two bolt holes near to the centre, that should reduce it down a lot.

It shouldn't really make that much difference if you have the knurls closer to the pivot point, as you should only be using so much pressure anyway. It is a cutting tool, not a forming by pressure tool.

John
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 05:26:43 PM by bogstandard »

Offline Gerhard Olivier

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 05:38:10 PM »
Hi John

Hemmingway does the type I like http://www.hemingwaykits.com/acatalog/Knurling_Tool.html  Or if you combine the two designs that your link to RDG shows.

The problem with mine is that i have to pull the cross slide out as far as it would go to get the knurl wheels to line up with the job.  Otherwise it works fine -I also would like to have one for straight knurls and one for diamond to make swapping easier.  :proj: To many other things on my todo list.

Gerhard

Guernsey
Channel Islands

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • Software For People Who Build Things
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 05:38:36 PM »
It is a cutting tool, not a forming by pressure tool.

John,

I normally take what you say as gospel but that one prompts me to ask for an explanation.
Isn't it just the opposite way round?
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

bogstandard

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 06:27:12 PM »
Gerhard,

I'm sorry, I didn't realise you are using a fairly small machine.

A straight knurl only needs to use one wheel, and are very easy to make yourself.

Marv,

I can only go by what I was always told by the people who taught me, and that was a knurling wheel is actually cutting into the metal, and the pressure used was to make the knurl cut deeper. That is why I always use a lot of oil or coolant on it when cutting, to clear away the swarf. Using that system, it has never failed me, so I would class the information that I have is correct.

I know that pressure is involved, and that the metal is thrown upwards when cutting, and I use that quirky by-product to allow me to expand things to make tighter fits. I class that more of burrs rather than deformed metal, and if just making a normal knurl, I file or cut the burrs off before use.

Where I think people go wrong, is that when cutting a knurl, they think it should form straight away, as so overload the knurling tool which then acts like a forming tool. It might take me ten minutes to cut a small knurled handle by taking it very steady on the pressure. Doing it that way, even people using small lathes can cut a knurl using a side loading tool rather than a scissor tool.
Another point to raise is that there are different sizes of knurl pattern, and you should use the correct one for the size and depth you require. It is no use forcing a heavy knurl using a fine wheel, it will look deformed and awful.

Unlike most people who use the same blunt wheels for years on end, I do replace my knurl wheels when pressure forming takes over from a cutting action, just like I would do with any blunt cutting tool. The wheels are so cheap, it is, as far as I am concerned, foolhardy not to have them in stock, just like replaceable carbide tips.

John

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 03:46:08 AM »
Gerhard........ That`s beautiful!  :clap: :clap:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Gerhard Olivier

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 04:07:05 AM »
Yes John -I was told to use heavy pressure with a single cut but I couldn't get nice even result with it.  So I use faster lathe speed then I was told about 600 rpm for that 10mm stock and many passes using WD40 and a toothbrush to clear the knurl between. Please say if there is a better way.

I have used the bigger diamond pattern to make a smaller diamond pattern by changing the diameter of bar and keeping the cut very light. But I cant see how the opposite would be possible.

Gerhard
Guernsey
Channel Islands

Offline arnoldb

• Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 05:57:41 AM »
Thanks Gerhard - my knurling tool will be pretty much along those lines as well; nothing fancy.  Just waiting for some wheels to arrive; that type of thing is not available locally...
I do have 2 wheels - they were supposed to form a diamond knurl set, but both are left-hand wheels  :bang:

And currently I have this also occupying my mind - there is a new one here in Windhoek; waiting for the bank to decide if they'll finance it...

Cheers, Arnold