Author Topic: Cost Of Water in the UK.....meters  (Read 6612 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Cost Of Water in the UK.....meters
« on: September 11, 2009, 06:17:22 AM »
Here's one that some may find interesting.....

When we moved into our current property the water bill was £690 annually and our council tax was equally high at around £1,800.
The problem was that our property was rated as a business not a dwelling. The council tax was easy to sort and they changed it right away.

But the water board refused to change anything. 12 mths later we eventually got a water meter fitted. It really did take some effort and they dragged their heals over the installation.

Six months on and we can now see just how much our water is costing us. The occupation is two adults and two children. One of which is a teenage girl who just can't understand that water is not free....hour long showers daily.... :doh:

On top of that we have had one lodger permanently over the last six months and at times two with their own separate kitchen and washing facilities.

We have made some effort to "conserve" but not been fanatical about it.

The result of the water meter is that our bills are now just a tad less than half of what they used to be.  

A normal 3 bed terraced house is around around here is about £35 a month, ours is £28 down from £57.50.

Not a bad saving considering......we were a tad worried about having a water meter fitted...not any more.

Imagine if you lived on your own......some of you probably do.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 07:04:45 AM by Darren »
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline 28ten

Re: Cost Of Water in the UK.....meters
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 02:52:29 PM »
Ours is £31 a month, I don't know that we would see much saving.
My mother who lives on her own, applied for a meter but they couldn't fit one. but as a result her monthly charge was reduced to £15 which is still more than she uses, but I suppose it is better than a poke in the eye.
If it ain't broke, i'll fix it until it is.

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 05:09:57 PM »
Not being current on the way your local politico's and government do things. But I'm getting the idea that most don't have water meters coming from the mains into the house?  
In the states in most areas that have water mains and service by a city town or village.
So say in larger cities London, Brighton, Cambridge, Oxford of Inspector Morse fame, do they have meters or is most estimated.

Every,every house, store, shop and factory has a meter. Our small city Mount Clemens built a separate water and sewage treatment system a long time ago (1888). It only serves our city,and some border areas.

The Big dog Is the city of Detroit that serves as the Main intake and treatment for the surrounding South East Michigan. They have been fighting about what the city charges the surrounding communities. They overcharge them and under charge Detroit residents plus they don't collect from a lot of the city residents that don't pay their bills. They are always in court against the city about the charges.

They have for years tried to take our system away from us as they say they are the only ones that should be allowed to use the water from the lake. They don't want to buy the system they want the courts to give them the system as they are two steps away from going broke all the time.

They want our system so they can use it to pump the water and sewage treatment for their northern communities.

Here is the current rates for our system, this is copied from the web site.
We pay for three months For wifey and me, its $170.00 to $185.00 per each 3 months, Depends on how much she waters the gardens. They use to add on the trash collection fees for the private contractors. Till the current one said we want it up front for the year. now they add it on the taxes.

Water Rates

Water rates are to be charged and collected monthly or quarterly in accordance with the following schedule:

Effective June 28, 2007
Service Charge: $6.97 (Monthly Billings), per inch of meter size (minimum 1 inch)
Service Charge: $20.91 (Quarterly Billings), per inch of meter size (minimum 1 inch)

Consumption Charge (Per 100 Cubic Feet): $2.44 (Residential)
Consumption Charge (Per 100 Cubic Feet): $2.52 (Non-Residential) See Cross Connection Fees.

**1 unit of water = 100 cubic feet or 748 gallons

Sewer Rates

On June 28, 2007 the following monthly wastewater disposal service charges shall become effective:

1) There shall be a minimum fee per customer of $6.67 per month per dwelling unit for all residential customers and of $6.67 per inch of meter setting size (minimum 1 inch) per month for non-residential customers, including residential and non-residential customers located in areas outside the corporate boundaries of the City. The minimum fee shall be due in (and) payable whether the building being supplied service is occupied or not.

2) In addition to the minimum fee, each customer, including customers located in areas outside the corporate boundaries of the City, shall pay $3.50 per each 100 cubic feet of water consumed (as recorded on the customer's water meter).

**1 unit of water = 100 cubic feet or 748 gallons

They also will install a second meter:

Outdoor Water Meter Use Option

The City of Mount Clemens, like most other cities, uses the water meter in your home to determine charges for sanitary sewers. The assumption is that most of the water used in your home eventually flows into the sanitary sewer (showers, clothes and dish washing, toilets, etc). Therefore your water and sewer bill has two rates, one for water and one for sewer. Both are based on the water that flows through your water meter. This assumption is appropriate in most instances. However, water that is used outside on sprinklers doesn’t end up in the sewers. Therefore it you use a lot of sprinkler water, you are paying sewer charges for water that doesn’t end up in sewers. With the popularity of sprinkler systems, this cost can be significant.

The City of Mount Clemens, in an effort to save you money, allows the installation of a second water meter that measures only water that goes outside of your house to the sprinklers. When your water and sewer bill comes, the sewer rate will only be charged on that water that is used in the house.

This program is optional for the property owner/building owner. A second or dual meter can be installed to meter water that is directed exclusively to a sprinkler system or outside spigot/connection such as to a swimming pool and will not enter a sanitary sewer. The installation of a dual meter in the home would allow the sewage rate to be billed only on that amount of water that enters the sewer system through the home. Sewage fees would not be charged on the water that flows through the second meter for outside use. An estimated cost for the second meter installation is currently $561. Although the cost for the permit and meter is fixed ($236), plumbing work in your home will also have to be completed. These plumbing costs will vary depending upon the complexity of the changes in piping required to install the second meter. For estimating purposes, we recommend using $325.

Any water and sewer customer can take advantage of this program. The customer, however, should evaluate individual circumstances based on use to calculate cost effectiveness.

So far it isn't worth the hassle or cost for me to do it. As I have always wanted to pave it and paint it green  :ddb:
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 07:06:49 AM by PTsideshow »
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 05:39:48 PM »
I think we pay the equivalent of about 800 quid annually for all city services, water, sewage, storm water, parks, library, refuse collection*, street lighting etc etc.

*Partial, as there is a limit on the rubbish collection and we have to use the pre-paid bags for gate collection (weekly) and pay by the ton if I take my trailer to the landfill.  The scales at the landfill are not all that suitable maybe better weighing trucks but last time I took my trailer the guy on the out gate said I weighed less than the in gate scales had recorded!**  (No, I had not loaded up on good stuff while I was in there as that impossible, you throw your stuff down in to a big concrete chute and a huge yellow  diggasaurus immediately gobbles it up and takes it away.)

**Thats nice, a bias in the consumer's favour, I wish the parking buildings would do the same.
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Baldrocker

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 09:19:18 PM »
Pt
Repeat after me> "Inspector MORSE MORSE MORSE. :hammer: :)
BR

Baldrocker

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 09:24:39 PM »
 :(
I fink I made a boo boo.
Morse was from Oxford
Abject pleas for forgiveness :bow:
BR

Offline DavesWimshurst

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 10:55:33 PM »
Darren,
"One of which is a teenage girl who just can't understand that water is not free....hour long showers daily"
Install smaller water heater? :thumbup:
Dave

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 05:34:00 AM »
Bit difficult Dave,

Our water is heated by solar for most of the year, 100% for 8-9mths and 50% in the winter. It heats a 300ltr tank fully and sadly it just keeps coming for her.

It's only the water we are paying for not the heating cos in the winter I can just turn the boiler off and it's not quite warm enough. A good deterrent that...(goes from the storage tank to the combi if it needs further heating, bypasses the combi if it's hot enough).

To be fair the education methods......insert loud noises.....seem to be finally working.....  :lol:...some things just take time...... :doh:

One thing I did manage to do was to insert a flow restrictor in the shower hose. We did have a powerful shower hose, now it's just adequate.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 05:42:13 AM by Darren »
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009, 06:20:45 AM »
Funny init, the weather I mean...last month I stated that it seemed summer was over, so cold and wet. This week we've been having a bit of a heat wave. Strong sun and lots of hot water  :)

Is it my memory or has the weather cycle really changed so much from 20 yrs ago.... :scratch:

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2009, 07:05:33 AM »
:(
I fink I made a boo boo.
Morse was from Oxford
Abject pleas for forgiveness :bow:
BR
You are right on both counts, It is Oxford and it is Morse something must get lost in the transfer to the public TV networks  :doh:
I shall correct it
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 07:24:16 AM »
Crikey,

Both you US and NZ chaps effectively get your water for free compared to us if I understand you both correctly.

In the UK the charges are different in different areas, around here water in and out is around £350 a year. The council charges for refuse and not a lot else is around £1,100 - £2,400 a year depending on the value of your property (how many live in it effectively makes little difference)

What really bugs me is the council use this money to provide certain services and then charge us again when we use them. Car parks come to mind here.

Offline 28ten

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 02:30:22 PM »

What really bugs me is the council use this money to provide certain services and then charge us again when we use them. Car parks come to mind here.
Hereford council just uses it to refurbish their offices and to subsidise charity shops in empty retail premises in the center of town  :bang:
If it ain't broke, i'll fix it until it is.

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2009, 04:12:54 PM »
Darren, water is free in as much as it is not metered otherwise of course we pay for it through the 800 +/-quid annual council 'rates' which are levied according to property value.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2009, 05:05:49 PM »
Did you note I used the word "effectively" John.......

Our council tax is £1,200 and much more for some.
Water is extra..... :thumbup:

Offline kvom

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2009, 06:32:29 PM »
I assume that "council tax" includes what we call property tax, that is, the value of the property.

Where I live, I pay county property tax which funds the school system, police, fire, and all the other county government departments (the building department is funded with fees).  Water is separate and billed by the county according to metered usage.  Garbage collection and sewage are private companies.  There is an additional annual fee to the homeowners associate of the community which pays for street lights, maintenace of common property, etc.)

Stated as a monthly cost, for 2009 I pay approximately:

Property tax:  $242
Water: $30
Sewage: $40
Garbage: $15
Homeowner: $25

Total: $352/month

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2009, 11:45:14 PM »
Some towns in NZ do meter and make a charge specifically for water, but not ours.