Author Topic: Mill drill with more clearance  (Read 5416 times)

Offline jatt

• chookshed engineer
Mill drill with more clearance
« on: September 08, 2009, 04:43:30 AM »
Hi,

Found this on one of my searches.

It attracted my attention because of the extra vertical clearance.  I would suspect there would be some accurancy issues with this arrangement. 

For the most part I dont need anything that is super accurate, most of what I do would be making up parts to be welded to trailers. Somehow I dont think my cheapo drill press would handle milling operations for too long.

No doubt this machine is sold with a different badge elsewhere in the world.

Thoughts/comments on this machine are most welcome
From an early age my father taught me to wear welding gloves . "Its not to protect your hands son, its to put out the fire when u set yourself alight".

Forget about the price of gold and oil, its the price of beer that matters.

Offline Davo J

Re: Mill drill with more clearance
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 05:44:18 AM »
I have seen them at Hare and Forbes as well for as Assett Machinery,they have the same head as the benchtop mills with a longer post,smaller table, and shorter travels 360mmx200mm.I think for what you want to do with it it will be perfect, and just as accurate as a benchtop mill.The only time you would have concern with accuracy is if you move the knee up or down on the round coloum.
Just to give everybody the specs to save searching I copied and pasted them below from H&F site.The 415v 3 phase has (threading)and 12 speeds instead of 6 that the 240v single phase has .
CODE   D129
Price (ex GST)   $2,350.00   
MODEL   DMF-40    
SPINDLE SIZE   3MT    
DRILLING CAP   31.5mm    
THREADING CAP   M16    
AUTO FEED   ~    
SPEEDS   12    
RANGE (RPM)   75-3200rpm    
COLUMN DIA   115mm    
DRILL DEPTH   130mm    
QUILL DIA   75mm    
THROAT DEPTH   250mm    
TABLE SIZE   600mm x 190mm    
SPINDLE TO TABLE   650mm    
SPINDLE TO BASE   1200mm    
FULL HEIGHT   1950mm    
MOTOR   1.1kW    
VOLTAGE   415V

CODE   D129A    
Price (ex GST)   $2,350.00   
MODEL   DMF-40    
SPINDLE SIZE   3MT    
DRILLING CAP   31.5mm    
THREADING CAP   ~    
AUTO FEED   ~    
SPEEDS   6    
RANGE (RPM)   75-1600rpm    
COLUMN DIA   115mm    
DRILL DEPTH   130mm    
QUILL DIA   75mm    
THROAT DEPTH   250mm    
TABLE SIZE   600mm x 190mm    
SPINDLE TO TABLE   650mm    
SPINDLE TO BASE   1200mm    
FULL HEIGHT   1950mm    
MOTOR   1.1kW    
VOLTAGE   240V    
WEIGHT (NETT)   400kg
Dave   

Offline jatt

• chookshed engineer
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 03:30:54 AM »
Thanks Davo J

Yeah the one I had found was from Asset.  Didnt realise H & F were selling these too.  Didnt notice em on the web site cause I was looking in the mill section, not the drill.
From an early age my father taught me to wear welding gloves . "Its not to protect your hands son, its to put out the fire when u set yourself alight".

Offline Jonny

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 09:34:33 AM »
Realise your in Oz but same machines as http://www.chesteruk.net/store/lux_round_column.htm
Nearly bought one after serious bargaining with head honcho £200 new but lack of space to put it together along with machines i was buying at time. Was £995 5 years ago.
All MT3 and drawbar, MT3 tang drills slap em straight in. Comes with a soft wedge/drift useless either make a decent one or tap the drawbar to remove- Much like the R8 spindles which there are a few about, wish i had one.
Old machines had the 1hp motor, newer from around 2004 had 1 1/2hp.
The only real critism is the spindle speed only goes up to around 1250rpm but down to a satisfying 80rpm.
The heads are heavy to carry!

The geared heads are ok and easy to change speeds quickly, make sure it has not got the plastic levers which break easily circa 2004. There are different variations on the spindle lock, some on the left side whilst others are on the front lower right, modded the lock up on mine as they stick when lever loosened. 
Same head as on these
http://www.chesteruk.net/store/lux_mill.htm
http://www.chesteruk.net/store/super_lux_mill.htm Got mine for £930 new was £1500.

They did a floor pedestal drill on a round column with Lux geared head, think they were £900 without cross slides, should be good for drilling as you can quickly change speeds. In all good machines for the money.
All made in same place in chinky land order a batch you can have your own name and colour scheme.

Offline jatt

• chookshed engineer
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 04:33:11 AM »
Yep put my order in for the CODE D129A Mill/drill from Hare & Forbes via my local agent.  The price works out to cheaper than me getting it myself, especially by the time I factor in the fuel usage of a 5 odd hour return trip.

Also ordered a clamping kit.  Thirty bucks cheaper than the retail price I was offered by H&F.  Goes to show its really worth my while to compare the prices of going thru my local versus buying it direct.

Offline jatt

• chookshed engineer
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 04:57:06 PM »
Yep its finally arrived.  Picked her up from the shop in its shipping crate and made the 15 km trip home.  Not the easiest thing to transport on the trailer, especially when I couldnt lay it on its side.

Now to set her up and clean off all of that goddarn preserving grease.

Would sewing machine oil be ok to use as a rust preventative?  Have got a few litres of the stuff lying around already.

I'm thinking I should dump the oil thats in it and start afresh.

Its the first mill I have owned so comments/suggestions are most welcome.

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 05:46:30 PM »
Jatt

Looking good, now the fun begins. A little cleanup and setup and the chips will be flying. We will be watching to see what you can dig out of big metal pieces.  :lol: :lol:

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best