Author Topic: A new bit of tooling for my lathe  (Read 11517 times)

bogstandard

A new bit of tooling for my lathe
« on: September 07, 2009, 07:07:44 AM »
I have been on a bit of retail therapy again, looking for solutions that occur occasionally.
I had a couple of things turn up this morning.

The first one was a set of carbon taps, not really much use for cutting threads in hard stuff, but great for cleaning things up.

The other was a bladed parting tool.

But with normal sizes swapped over.
The parting tool has a 0.055" (1.4mm) wide blade, perfect for those brass and ali parting jobs, and cost less than a tenner with a spare blade.

The taps I got for finishing off tooling for my swappable Myford setup. I will single point very close to finished size, then use the taps to bring them to correct pitch and profile. Less than 20 squid for the set. I will be getting the matching die very soon.

Just going on another web search.

Bogs

Offline arnoldb

• Windhoek, Namibia
Re: A new bit of tooling for my lathe
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 08:46:53 AM »
Bogs, you're causing serious tool envy here... I could really use a set of those taps right now...  Oh well One day  ::)

Nice little parting tool too.  I can just see some fins getting cut on a cylinder head.

Regards, Arnold

bogstandard

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 10:24:17 AM »
Arnold,

I don't just buy things for the sake of it.

I too will soon be making a load of tooling for Myford fittings, but because I have a metric lathe, I can't guarantee that the imperial thread it produces will be perfect. So by using these cheap taps, and soon a just as cheap die, to do the final skim on the single point threads I will be cutting. That will ensure that the threads will be true running because of the single point cutting, and of the correct form for the tooling to screw together.

I normally grind all my own small parting and grooving tools, but because of the cost of this little one, it just isn't cost effective to make my own.

Go down this page and you will hit the cheapo taps and dies.

http://rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/MYFORD_LATHE_USERS_NEW1.html

I might have the taps,

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

But my wrench is a bit small

Bogs
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 10:27:31 AM by bogstandard »

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 11:08:12 AM »
Haha! What are you going to do Bogs? Use a spanner on it or get a massive tap wrench? Would have thought spanner is ok as long as not too much metal to take off?

Nick

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 11:08:54 AM »
Hi John

I've got a wacking big tap wrench I picked up from a scrap yard a few moths ago, if you want a loan just whistle.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

bogstandard

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 11:14:30 AM »
Stew,

I ain't go no teef, so how am I supposed to whistle?

Nick,

I think an imperial adjustable spanner will do just fine, I will only be taking a sliver off.

Bogs

Offline arnoldb

• Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 11:18:59 AM »
I don't just buy things for the sake of it.
I didn't think that at all Bogs.  In fact, I was very darn sure that you have a reason :beer:

I've also done the "start with a single point" thread part-way, then use a tap or die to cut to final form - for exactly the opposite reason you have... 99% of my work is done in metric, with an imperial lathe  :lol:

Now DON'T go over-torquing those taps with that handle :lol:

Kind Regards, Arnold

bogstandard

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 05:48:34 AM »
The final bit of the puzzle turned up the other day.

And a quick check on my lathe conversion nose shows that it will do the job just fine.

So now I am geared up to start my second assault on making my dream of interchangeable tooling a fact of life.

The first lot works just fine, the second bits will make it a lot more rigid, and so will be able to handle much larger pieces and cuts.

Bogs

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 09:36:40 AM »
Well now John, does that mean we will eventually see a new avatar? I think you said a while back it would change once you got the shop and tooling to your liking?  :ddb:  :)

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

bogstandard

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 11:04:48 AM »
Bernd,

Do you ever think my shop will be finished?

Bogs

Offline arnoldb

• Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 12:48:05 PM »
Good one Bogs.  Is this one HSS or also carbon steel ?

And I'm intrigued by
So now I am geared up to start my second assault on making my dream of interchangeable tooling a fact of life.
Did you post more info on this somewhere where I missed it ?

Regards, Arnold

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 01:18:39 PM »
Bernd,

Do you ever think my shop will be finished?

Bogs

Naw, it'll never be finished. To many good workshop projects, right?  :)

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

bogstandard

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 05:25:50 PM »
Arnold,

The die is also carbon, but as I said, it will only be used for final skimming.

This is my original post about 'my dream', not earth shattering, but a few people have followed my example, not the same way, but interchangeable tooling nonetheless, and it has worked for them as well.

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=422.0

My next phase is to replaced those purchased adapters shown in the first pic, with beefier, home made items.

John

Offline arnoldb

• Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 03:32:02 AM »
Thank you John !

A most interesting thread on the interchangeable tooling, and I'm really looking forward to seeing the rest of the project  :clap:
Thank you for sharing; it's good to have this kind of input, and is helping me to think a bit more in detail as to future tool purchases.

Kind regards, Arnold

bogstandard

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 04:57:03 AM »
Arnold,

As with all my projects, I get the bits together first, then put them away until I am ready to pounce on it. So this project might be next week or next year, just awaiting for the ideal slot to fit it into my workshop schedule.

I have a lot more important projects before this one is even to be thought about.

John

Offline arnoldb

• Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009, 05:46:42 AM »
John, I understand and respect your schedule and priorities; please accept my apologies if I came over pushy - that was not the intent.

You provide lots of good inspiration and wisdom all over the site, no matter what project you are busy with or commenting on, and that is very valuable.

Kind Regards, Arnold

bogstandard

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 08:45:40 AM »
Your getting the wrong idea Arnold, I wasn't thinking of you being pushy at all. It is just that I usually have a little too much to say for my own good and it comes across that I am being snappy, but nothing could be further from the truth. I am just trying to be helpful, sometimes a little too much.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

John

Offline arnoldb

• Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2009, 11:30:17 AM »
 :) No worries John - seems I have the same problem of having to say too much for my own good  :lol:

Just started a 3 week stay-at-home holiday; hopefully I can add something positive to MadModders during this time.

Arnold

bogstandard

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 01:05:00 PM »
Yet even a few more bits picked up from ebay.

This time, mostly for my surface grinder, and my quest for getting tooling shaped and sharpened.

At the back are three diamond edged grinding wheels, from L to R, 6mm wide (used, 1.5mm left), 1mm slitting disc (used, 3mm left) and a new one at 12mm wide. All very, very reasonably priced. The first two, less than 6 squid each, and the new one 36 squid.

In the middle are a few bits of metal from the same chap I got the used wheels off. The brass was especially needed. I have a future project to make some commercial engines, and it uses 1/4" thick brass plate. This piece will make up the shortfall I have in my stock for completing them. Again, hardly any cost at all, just a few quid for the lot.

The tooling, and the spare brand new wheel, is the key to using diamond wheels on my surface grinder. It is called a brake dresser, and is used for levelling off and cleaning up the surface of diamond edged wheels like I have bought. The one you see here is a genuine Norton one, in perfect working condition. New, this would cost you in excess of 1K bucks. I won it with a sniping bid of 36 squid, and that included the new spare wheel.

It now seems that 'diamonds are a Bog's best friend'.

John

Offline arnoldb

• Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2009, 04:52:45 PM »
Nice find Bogs.

I was about to put my foot in my mouth once again :doh:, but fortunately re-read your post :)

I presume the knob on the right-hand side of the brake dresser is for changing the amount of friction applied/limiting rotational velocity when cleaning up the diamond wheels?

Kind regards, Arnold