Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

Bicycle wheels as pulleys?

(1/3) > >>

websterz:
I am amassing the materials needed to build a 12" power hacksaw. To bring the motor's speed down and increase torque I plan to use a 2"-12"-2"-12" jackshaft assembly. This should yield 60-90 strokes per minute, right where I need it. 12" pulleys are rather expensive, 2 of them are doubly so. My daughter is willing to donate her old bike for the project. Sans the rubber bits the wheels measure the required 12", have wonderfully rolly bearings, and are free. Has anyone used wheels as pulleys before? The saw will only be used for light cutting duty with regular 12" blades. Am I just being TOO cheap?

John Hill:
I cant see why that would be a problem although I feel I would be more inclined to turn a wooden pulley or two, because:
a. It would allow me to get the proper profile for the belt I would be using.
b. It would be an excuse to play on my lathe.

Bicycle wheels are not very strong in the side load direction but that would not appear to be a problem for your project.

websterz:

--- Quote from: John Hill on August 25, 2009, 10:12:26 PM ---I cant see why that would be a problem although I feel I would be more inclined to turn a wooden pulley or two, because:
a. It would allow me to get the proper profile for the belt I would be using.
b. It would be an excuse to play on my lathe.

Bicycle wheels are not very strong in the side load direction but that would not appear to be a problem for your project.

--- End quote ---

One problem...hard to turn a 12" pulley on a 7" mini-lathe.  :bang:  :lol: If I had enough swing for a part that size I would make them out of some 1/2" aluminum plate that is sitting in the corner looking for a purpose in life.

I was planning on using flat link belting so the cross-section is not a big deal.

John Hill:
Hmmmm, yes I can see that would give your cause to pause! :coffee:

But you can make some size of wooden pully on that lathe?  Cut the big pulley near to size with you jig saw and mount it on the shaft (which you have to do anyway for your hacksaw) with the smaller pulley you have justmade so that your motor can twirl it around and with a bit of angle iron held by a 'G' clamp as your tool rest you have all you need to turn that wooden pulley.

websterz:

--- Quote from: John Hill on August 25, 2009, 11:21:21 PM ---Hmmmm, yes I can see that would give your cause to pause! :coffee:

But you can make some size of wooden pully on that lathe?  Cut the big pulley near to size with you jig saw and mount it on the shaft (which you have to do anyway for your hacksaw) with the smaller pulley you have justmade so that your motor can twirl it around and with a bit of angle iron held by a 'G' clamp as your tool rest you have all you need to turn that wooden pulley.

--- End quote ---

Why didn't I think of that?  :beer: Actually I COULD cut a 12" pulley on my mill. Just need to bodge up a form tool from drill rod, mount the plate on my rotab, and go from there. Bike wheels will get the saw going, I can make proper pulleys later.  :dremel:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version