Author Topic: Allen Keys - what sort to buy?  (Read 10026 times)

Offline Barefoot-Leather

• Barefoot Leather
Allen Keys - what sort to buy?
« on: August 24, 2009, 05:17:12 AM »
Over the years I have had numerous sets of cheap Allen (hex) keys but would like to purchase a sensible, professional set that won't bend, burr over, snap or any of the other things that cheapo tools tend to do. Can anyone suggest a reputable make? An idea of price would be handy although I don't mind paying for a quality set of tools.

FYI: I'm mainly working on sewing machines (changing presser feet, needles, etc) but some of my machinery is huge and will require the larger sizes of Allen key.

Hope someone can help, the contact details for a reputable supplier would also be very handy.

Cheers,

Ray
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 05:19:52 AM by Barefoot-Leather »
Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
Re: Allen Keys - what sort to buy?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 07:07:03 AM »
Ray

I use the WIHA set from here, but I also have some of the Jetech stuff which is a fair bit cheaper, but quite OK.

Depends how much you use them. I have Bear Brand, Unbrako and Proto. All are durable, although it's quite possible to destroy any with enough brute force ..

Only metric tho. I believe Chronos have imperial, had some from there .. long time ago. I get small ones in 5's .. dunno what their present stock is ..

Axminster also have good files .. Vallorbe .. not too expensive either .. Given up with Asian files .. PITA

http://www.axminster.co.uk/category-Hex-Key-Wrenches-207858.htm

Dave..
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 07:07:33 AM »
Any of the name brands, will work now the only thing is the type and style. As at some point you will have to replace one or more of them. from the abuse the smaller one get in use.

There are the folders, assorted sizes good for carrying around in pocket or tool pouch/box
Short arm
Longer reach short arm
Ball driver type, so you can get in at the funny angles. These come in the L style, cushion grip, and T handle in both the long and short reach.
Then you have  the same thing in the standard hex head as the ball driver.

Now double it when you consider that you also have metric, in all the same styles and types as the ball drivers.

You also can find them mounted into socket wrench heads to fit the 1/4"3/8" 1/2" 3/4" ratchet wrenches.

Eklind, and Bondhus along with Allen brand names. Allen is the company that invented them and as so many things became generic. I have about 18 different sets of the metric and fractional ones. Not counting the extras of the ones that are used/abused the most.
The hardened ones can break, or they can wear the corners off them then you have to dress them.

I have found that they are the tools that seem to grow in number in boxes and drawers. I have started putting all the orphan short arm L wrenches in one box, when I find them  and have to change to larger boxes.  :lol:

The biggest thing is to get the type and style that you will use, on your equipment. There is nothing more frustrating than not having the correct arm length to remove that hex head set screw.

That is were the T handle and cushion grip handles come in handy. As it always seems the smallest deepest hide set screws require the most force to break loose.

Here is only a sample of what is available, And they have great selections at most of the big box stores.
http://hand-tools.hardwarestore.com/22-413-allen-wrench-sets.aspx I have not used this outfit, but they seem to be one of the 800 pound internet gorilla's
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline jim

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 07:24:51 AM »
the ones that come with machines are best chucked away!!

i've got a set of "HALFORDS profensional" ones cost about £20, but after 4 years of use, never had a problem. only issue you may have is that they are long reach. i bought a set of imp/metric ones from DRAPER for about £16, once again, no problems
if i'd thought it through, i'd have never tried it

Offline Barefoot-Leather

• Barefoot Leather
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 04:39:28 AM »
Thanks guys - lots to think about there.

Best wishes,

Ray
Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 12:30:37 PM »
Hello chaps, bringing this one back up from the ashes!

I`m getting sick and tired of having to sort through my box of mixed allen keys to find the right one. Only to find I`ve not got it, it has burred or it isn`t a perfect fit!

I`ve been looking to spend some money on a new set of both imperial and metric. I`m actually pretty happy with my collection of bigger allen keys as these are easier to sort through and easier to find but the tiny ones really annoy me.

Has anyone any recommendations to a decent "small size" range of alley keys? I`ve been looking at the Bondhus range but these are the ones with the funny "round" ends.

This thread is 2 years old and has lots of good info but I was wondering if anyone has any new information before I decided to buy into some. I suppose in a way, I also need a holder of some sort as it is the fact that they are loose that is driving me bonkers.

Chris

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 12:31:04 PM »
ps...spent 20 minutes looking for an Allen Key last night,,, can you tell!!??

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline Deko

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 03:23:34 PM »
I paid £20 or so for a bondhus set about 8 or 9 years ago, then a few days later bought a cheepo set from Aldi (£2.99).   Not used the bondhus set yet because the Aldi set, in use every day, are still like new.  :jaw: But then i do try to use, rather than abuse. :thumbup:

Cheers  Deko

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 03:30:19 PM »
Chris, those ball end Bondhus keys are really handy when you cannot get a straight line to the screw. They work like a universal joint. The ball also helps in getting the key into the socket.

Whether or not they are worth the extra cost is a judgement call.

Joe

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 03:37:07 PM »
None of my Allen keys, name or no-name, has ever let me down. That said, I don't use those which came with Ikea flatpack furniture very often.

One of those sets of T-handle, ball-ended ones would be convenient for running Allen screws home quickly before finally tightening them up them with a regular key.

As most of mine live muddled up in a box, I put a splash of white paint on the imperial ones for ease of identification. 

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Jonny

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 05:18:29 PM »
I must have 100's of different allen keys, some from three engineering works and all British and made to last.
Also have loads of different brands of cheapies, quite frankly not worth picking up and need rehardening and dumping in water to get any hardness.

Lately went over to the Wiha ball sockets, but having broke the ball of one that was used to tighten the cap hd screw up, i am also looking elswhere.

Offline The Steamer

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 06:09:00 PM »
Got both metric and imperial from bondhus. I got the ball end ones and use them on everything.

In 4 years i have snapped the ball off of the 6mm one (did have a foot long pipe on the other end :doh:)

I dont know if they still do but mine came with a lifetime warranty and it was replaced the same day with a brandnew full set!!!!

Cost me about £30 but id spend more on dinner whilst out lol.

Offline kvom

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 07:41:24 PM »
Definitely get the ball-end model!