Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

Splitting an outer CV joint

<< < (2/4) > >>

Darren:
Uh Oh...I read some drive shafts have to come completely out from the transmission and you fit the gaiter from the other end....sod that for a laugh...

This idea looks better....watch the vid

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BOOTGUN-AIR-GUN-CV-BOOT-FITTING-TOOL-AND-CV-BOOT-KITS_W0QQitemZ170370066402QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM?hash=item27aad8e7e2&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262

And this is prob more suitable for cheapskates like me

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-PASSAT-CV-BOOT-DRIVESHAFT-GAITER-KIT-EASY-FIT-_W0QQitemZ170366297966QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090731?IMSfp=TL090731164001r24009

Haven't things changed in just a few short years....!!!

Divided he ad:
Evening chief.....  Just picked up on this thread and I'd give it an almighty thump with a copper mallet myself, there is a ring on many shafts but it is not always visible.

Some of the shafts have a split ring about an inch down into the CV joint, so before I spent all that cash on cv stretchy boots I'd try gripping the shaft in a vise and giving the joint a thump..... You're unlikely to do any damage to the joint, they are very tough.

Keep hold of the stub though.... you don't want it flying across the room!!!

Just my 2 pence worth  :thumbup:

Ralph.

Darren:
Thanks Buddy, I was hoping you'd turn up before midnight.... :lol:

I walloped it good mate and it's now off. The snap ring is hidden well inside...... :thumbup:

Saved me a packet you did.... :thumbup:

I don't like hitting things hard unless I'm absolutely sure I should be doing so.....cheers..... :bow:

bogstandard:
Crap, I was hoping you would bugger up the joint and I could scrounge the ball bearings off you.

But well done anyway, the garage would have charged you loads for doing that one wallop. Finger up time to the garage.

John

Darren:
It gets one better than that John, I have the other side to do as well...... :ddb:

What do you recon, £30 a side these days, plus parts at triple cost....be about that.....

Then there is this bit, the hub.

The problem centres around the red circle. The clamp just won't quite clamp tight enough to the pin. It's ok when new, but come the next MOT it fails. I have had at least one side changed if not both for every MOT for the last 4yrs since I've owned this car. To add insult the mot station sometimes failed the pin as well to be on the safe side. These are very expensive parts, the pin is in fact the whole lower arm assembly.

I decided this year if I couldn't fix this myself then I was going to scrap the car. Year on year it was getting just plain silly.

You can see the top of the gap is wider then the bottom, the bottom was closing too early.

The fix was quite simple, run a three bladed hacksaw through the slot....

It looks like I've taken a huge chunk out, but it's no wider that the original size of the top and is about 3mm wide.

On another note, why does rust always come out showing it's best in photo's......I mean, things always look worse than they really are don't they.

Would you believe that hub was new last year, no neither would I, but I have the bill to prove it so it must be.......

Anyway here's that CV joint Ralph told me to beat.....

Cleaned up, re-greased, re-booted and re-fitted.....can't be bad, just need to trim the excess boot off tomorrow.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version