Author Topic: Metric edge finders  (Read 8498 times)

bogstandard

Metric edge finders
« on: August 20, 2009, 04:29:00 PM »
For a while now, I have been trying out different edge finders, and found that none of the ones offered came up to challenge the accuracy of my 25 year old Starrett imperial one. In fact all of them gave either way out or unrepeatable readings.

Now came the time I was looking for a metric edge finder. I know that Starrett do them, but they are rather expensive.
So when Arc Euro started to advertise that they had got two new metric ones in, I decided, because I had never had a bad bit of kit from them, to give them a go. So I duly bought one of each, a 10mm and a 4mm one, at 5 squid 50p (about 10 bucks) each.

I hadn't even tried them out, as I have been too busy, but when Ralph came over last weekend, he asked me what they were.

I duly explained, and with Ralph looking on, they were put thru their paces, and compared to my faithful Starrett.

Both came thru with flying colours, giving repeatable results each and every time.

I was so impressed with them, they now sit proudly with the Starrett on my tooling rack, ready for action.

Bogs

Offline John-Som

• Start Model Engineering
Re: Metric edge finders
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 05:00:31 PM »
Thanks John

My orders in the post ! I suspect my cheapo jobbies from Proops are not quite up to scratch.

JohnS
start-model-engineering.co.uk - a friendly place for model engineering beginners

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 05:07:38 PM »
Well would you believe it, I've just got the 4mm one this week. I havent had a chance to use it yet, but I have more confidence in it's results now.  :thumbup: :thumbup:

Just a side note about Arc Euro, I've had great service from them, on this order I ordered it ( and a few other goodies )on sunday and it arrived on tuesday morning, and I live in northern ireland. I figure that to be about as fast a delivery as is economically feasable.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 05:17:34 PM »
John showed me how to use them0 on Monday when I was over chewing the fat with him:- so impressed, I ordered a set along with some ER32 collets two days later they were delivered tried the edge finders out for my self and I was really impressed with them, just chucked my fag papers out. (translation cigarette papers)

Cheers

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 05:20:38 PM »
I bought an LED type, I've nothing to compare it to but so far it's been spot on.

I figured with no moving parts and just a precisely ground shaft at both ends it could do little else but be accurate.....but like I say, I have nothing to compare...
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 06:21:15 PM »
And here's a link chaps  :thumbup:

Edge Finders

CC

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 07:07:36 PM »
I bought one of those LED ones that also give an audible warning, not cheap but I though whatever helps.

First time I used it, kept jogging , no beep, no LED and then snap

Turns out machine lights are brighter than the LED and the noise of the bloody great motor and me being clog eared meant that bit wasn't acted upon, so rather a dear lesson.

Now I spin illegal immigrants at 1,000 rpm and listen to the squeal and the blood splatter, sounds horrible but immigrants are cheap and freely available.

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 08:12:02 PM »
John,

I'm glad I didn't have a mouth full of beer when I read your post. It would have been all over the computer.  :ddb:

Feel bad for ya' on the busted probe.  :(

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

bogstandard

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 11:24:48 PM »
Bernd,

I've tried giving away one of those lighty up ones, one that fits into a morse taper. But when I tell the prospective owner what the problem is, they refuse to take it off my hands.

They work great, but when you come to remove them, on certain machines you lose all register as well. So it defeats the object.

Bogs

Offline Jonny

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 04:03:57 PM »
I'm on my second straight shank jobby after doing above. Instructions advise not to spin unlike the wigglers. Superb for clocking vices up as well but really come in to there own with a DRO.
Always found both mine to be accurate complete with the transfer to finished article.

Reckon for the instances where you prefer to spin up or non magnetic as in plastics or wood, cant go wrong.
Also only ever had decent stuff from Arc, 3 scales and full sets of imp and metric MT finger collets for smaller mill which are good and cheap.

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 12:20:23 PM »
Her's a vid of an edge finder in use, excuse the camera shake I was trying to wind the handle and film at the same time.

You can see the wobler kick across the face of the parallel that tells you the edges are lined up as this is a 10mm wobler all you then have to do is index forward 5mm and the mill axis is lined up with the edge.

A very useful bit of kit

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave: