Author Topic: Producing multiples  (Read 3933 times)

Offline Gerhard Olivier

Producing multiples
« on: August 20, 2009, 04:08:27 AM »
Hi all need to milk the wisdom of the collective.  :borg:

This question is more aimed at production runs. I have an idea for a flywheel but it needs 8 spokes made exactly same length 7mm thick and 12mm of m6 thread on each end. No trouble making one but how would those with EXPERIENCE set it up so production is smooth and lengths are exatly the same?????

At the moment I would mark the lenght and try to get as close to it as poss then take it out the chuck to measure until correct but then it is not concentric and I have wasted a day. :(

Help much appreciated

Gerhard
Guernsey
Channel Islands

bogstandard

Re: Producing multiples
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 04:28:53 AM »
Gerhard,

Sometime this weekend, I will be doing a post about making a chuck backstop for your lathe.

That is what you really need to get a production run going. So if you can wait a day or two for an answer, it will be forthcoming.

Bogs

Offline Gerhard Olivier

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 04:04:20 PM »
That is fine thanks Bogs it is still just an idea

Gerhard
Guernsey
Channel Islands

Offline klank

• Sunny East Devon
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 09:13:18 AM »
Hi Gerhard,
I had a similar problem over a piece of work I was trying (making threaded studs for a horizontal Sterling engine), but I do not have a spindle depth stop for the lathe.
Obviously, if I had one - like Bogs is making, its an easy job to do.

This is the way I overcame the problem of getting a repeatable length - it may not be a recognised way - but it did work for me and is extremely quick and easy to do as a one-off set up.

I used the tailstock and its drill chuck as a sort of "adjustable stop".

Put the bar material in the lathe chuck.
Put the drill chuck in the tailstock with jaws closed and lock its spindle, held a small scrap of steel plate against the closed jaws of the drill chuck, pulled out the bar material from the lathe chuck to touch against the face of the scrap plate (being held hard against the closed jaws of the drill chuck) to the exact length I wanted,closed the lathe chuck jaws and locked both the tailstock and the saddle (with parting off tool at the other end close to the lathe chuck) - the exact point I needed to part off. Take the bit of scrap plate away and part. (The bit of scrap plate - spacer -  is used to stop the rotating end of the material being intefered with by the jaws of the tailstock drill chuck when parting off). repeat for the number of lengths you want.
Obviously you cannot use this method if a drilling operation is also required on the length of material, but it seemed to work for repeating a "solid length".

When threading, I used my set of drill bits - bought a set of metric drills at 0.1 mm increments - as "slip gauges" to set the saddle stop from the edge of the saddle to a precise length, and locked the saddle stop - easy repeatability for cutting the same length of thread each time.

Forgive the garbled text - but I hope you understand the idea.

Regards,
Peter
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 09:30:15 AM by klank »

Offline Jonny

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 11:15:52 AM »
Quick and simple way is to use a broom stale or some thing with a collar on it set to the depth you want, overall lengths should then be the same and repeatable.
If you have a fair few hang on for Bogs more substantial method.

Offline Gerhard Olivier

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 05:10:39 PM »
Thanks for replies

Peter I think Im going to make a chuck back stop for the threaded ends as they are the same on two ends effectively making the 8 pieces 16 repeat operations.  But I like your Idea for cutting the blanks repeating the cuts with the parting tool at same distance from chuck every time.

Jonny sorry but i have not got any idea what a "broom stale" is.  Maybe missing something?? :(

Will put the back stop in separate post

Thanks
Gerhard
Guernsey
Channel Islands

Offline Jonny

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 06:58:57 PM »
Geroli, what attaches to a domestic broom enabling you to sweep the floor and machines.
Just feed it through the headstock.

Also if any of you have an indexable carriage stop, one of the positions could be set up in conjunction with something on the tool post = All come off the same. Been meaning to make one for 9 years beats paying £75 second hand.

Offline Gerhard Olivier

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 03:45:12 AM »
Got it Jommy

Funny the answer I came up with looks a bit like a BROOM and works exactly like u explained

Thanks for explaining.
Gerhard
Guernsey
Channel Islands