Author Topic: Team Builds  (Read 3862 times)

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
Team Builds
« on: August 19, 2009, 08:43:38 AM »
Hi all,

I just posted the below over on another forum where they have a section for team builds. Just wondered what peoples thoughts are on this forum about the prospect of team builds? Do people like the idea or hate it? Would they get involved or just watch? Does anybody have any different ideas how they could be run etc? I don't know really, I've expressed a couple of opinions below but just interested to hear what everybody else thinks?

Before I start I don't intend this post as being negative or a dig at the idea, so if it comes across that way take it with a pinch of salt.

I think the team builds are a great idea and it must have been very rewarding for those people involved in the first build. I was just trying to find out some more information for myself and other people that may be interested about what's expected and the way they are run. Also, if people are happy with the way it is going, that's fine, just so that other people that might be thinking of getting involved know the score.

We never seem to see much in the way of progress on these. I know the first 1 eventually got done, more or less, think a few people had to finish the engines off themselves.

What is the status of team build 2 and team build 3. I think even build 3 has been running for over a year with, from what I can see (although am not involved) little to show.

Are only the people involved in the builds party to the information or is it intended to be shared with all forum members? I haven't seen any drawings or lists of who is supposed to be doing what etc?

I know everybody has their personal lives and projects of their own to get on with, which is why I have never committed myself to being involved myself. Surely though, if people agree to be part of the build and are expecting an engine in return, they need some kind of commitment to make the parts by a deadline or preferred date, or at least provide regular uptates on their progress, of course except for in circumstances that are out of their control.

So my question is, are the team builds really working? I know we all do it at home, but to me it seems strange to start a new more complicated build before the previous one is complete.

Cheers,

Nick

ps I know,  :worthless:

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: Team Builds
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 09:18:45 AM »
Nick,

I've kept an eye on the builds on HMEM. The first one generated much enthusiasm, but seemed to dwindle. I haven't kept track of the second or third build. Personaly I think you should complete one project before you go for or even think about the next one. That may be one cause of the 2nd and 3rd builds taking so long.

To me it all sounds like fun but I think once you get into and have to make a number of parts and some need to be held to certain sizes so the next part will fit starts to become a job and not a hobby. I'm sure frustration starts to set in.

That all said I have nothing against somebody that wants to run a team build. I'll help with info and advice but would not participate in making parts.

The above is strctly my opinion. I'm sure there will be others on this forum that will voice there opinion.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 09:53:19 AM »
Bernd,

I share some of those opinions, I think it could work more slickly with more up front planning maybe, say tolerancing the drawings  etc. Like you I found the first one really interesting but you're right, for whatever reason the enthusiasm must have tailed off.

Nick

bogstandard

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 09:57:07 AM »
Nick,

This site isn't like HMEM.

This is a projects site, not a model engineering or model engine making one, but you might think it is by the way it is going.

To me, doing something like that is forcing the site down the wrong road, and should be left as it is. People showing what they are doing, not being coerced into something that makes the site even more engineering orientated.

Just my views.

Bogs

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 10:43:26 AM »
Hey Nick...

They just kinda died. I had people that kinda just quit and didn't do their parts.

I don't want that here. It was a good idea, those who were dedicated did a great job. Those who didn't do their part... well...

I tried something, worked on the 1st... died on the rest. Lets leave it at that. Not going to do them here. You wanna work with someone to make something? Great!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 11:47:13 AM »
This is a projects site, not a model engineering or model engine making one, but you might think it is by the way it is going.

Agreed, which is one reason I posted my A/C fix.  I work on a lot of different stuff, and model engines is only one small part of that.  The sidewinder build, leatherworking, and other related stuff is all interesting.  Limiting to too narrow a band makes us just another one-trick pony. 

HMEM is good, because it does focus on one thing, but there's no need to just be a mirror of that site.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 12:17:50 PM »
HMEM is good, because it does focus on one thing, but there's no need to just be a mirror of that site.

Absolutely. I brought this site online because the guys at HMEM were interested in other stuff besides engines.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 04:38:28 PM »
I have to say, I agree with all that has been said, it must have been frustrating for the guys that were dedicated. I saw being a member of a build as a high responsibility, which is why I would never have taken on a role myself. It seemed a good idea but I can see the reasons for wanting to keep away from it and letting the rest of the site flourish. As you said Eric, there's nothing to stop a group of people working together on a project should they so desire.

Thanks for you input guys.

Nick

Offline DeereGuy

• D1 Adapter Solutions
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 07:17:08 PM »
This has become my favorite, I enjoy the engine builds also but I like the diversity here better.