Author Topic: ROUTER cutters in model engineering.  (Read 3300 times)

Offline kellswaterri

ROUTER cutters in model engineering.
« on: August 08, 2009, 01:59:01 PM »
''I am looking at using them as profile cutters on the lathe as well. I have yet to do any longer trials, but initially it looked very promising''

Not wishing to intrude on Tims topic, I have opened a new one...Tim has successfully put a router for shaping wood to good use on brass...John ''Bogs'' is thinking along similar lines of using them as profiling tooling in the lathe...''Blinging'' instantly raises its head, high speed die grinder with router attached to tool post very slow feed to saddle...just Think of the possibilities :scratch:
All the best for now,
                            John.

Offline 28ten

Re: ROUTER cutters in model engineering.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 03:15:26 PM »
I have used a 45 chamfer bit in the router table to knock the edges off some brass bar it gave a good enough finish, but I only did it because I didn't have a mill.
If it ain't broke, i'll fix it until it is.

bogstandard

Re: ROUTER cutters in model engineering.
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 06:00:38 PM »
John,

I mount them like a normal tool, say a boring bar, but one edge of the router bit being used as the profile tool.
They work very well on brass because of the zero top rake, but I have yet to try them on aluminium. I am expecting a bit of trouble there, with the ali shavings bonding to the cutting edge rather than peeling off as would happen with a top raked tool.

Maybe your idea of rotating the tool might go part way to solving the problem, it does on the mill.

Bogs