Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Warco 918 Tumbler reverse

(1/3) > >>

Gerhard Olivier:
Hi all this is a mod that has already taken a lot of time

My Warco 918 (simular to 9x 20 lathes ) is in the house and  children 2 and 4 years old I only realy get time to work when they sleep, To keep the noise down as much as poss I decided to make a tumbler reverse so that I could use the neutral position when I dont need the leadscrew to turn, cutting down on the noise.

As this is going to be a longterm part of the lathe I wanted it to look part of rather than stuck on.!!!!

For the rocker I used 6mm Alu plate and made the bushing and the spacer piece of Bronze.

And decided to use the 6mm bearings that I had in the box for the gears rather than bushes. They have just been bored to a very tight fit and friction fitted together????

The lot together looks like this

All that fits to the lathe using the origional oiling pin and that makes gear change as easy as it was before.

Will keep u updated.

Gerhard

CrewCab:
I love to see people modifying their tools to suit themselves, I'm just as guilty  :smart:

Nice work  :beer:

CC

raynerd:
Nice job mate...I too work as a vampire while my wife and 8 month old daughter sleep. Disengaging the lead screw certainly makes a difference to the volume... I have to say that your post has sparked some concern! I am not clear how your modification works but on my model A - Boxford lathe, I have a lever for forward, reverse, neutral and simply run the lathe in neutral to stop the lead screw turning and cut down on noise. Should I not be doing this or does your lathe not have this function and hence the need for your mod.?

All the best.

Chris

Gerhard Olivier:
The 9x20 lathe has the leadscrew always running and cant cut left hand threads at all.  Apparantly cuases lots of unneccesary wear.  This link will explain better than I can.  http://www.bedair.org/Tumble/Tumble1.html

Other mods just disingage the leadscrew but why do a mod that does one thing when you could do one that does lots.

Gerhard

klank:
Very good to see someone having a go at this mod - I have long seen it on Steve Bedair's site and wondered how difficult it could be to fabricate.
Smashing bit of work.
Respects

Peter

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version