Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Restoring an Old Wobbler - bling ideas welcome!

(1/6) > >>

raynerd:
Hi Guys

I purchased this some time ago from fleabay with the intention of using the boiler but after posting on here and reading the replies I have decided to sit it on the top shelf for now. So I have wasted my money on the intended use of the boiler therefore I may as well restore the little wobbler and get something out of it.

And then after I removed the copper intake pipe and unscrewed it from the rotten wood base this is what it looked like:

This is going to be more of a polishing & blinging exercise as with some light force the engine is free to turn. The frame is slightly out of line and is causing the friction and of course there is no flywheel - I`m confident with a little time and drop oil, this will be running fine .... so straight onto dismantling

I have found that the piston is not fitting correctly onto the piston rod and will need re-threading. Obviously I have cut off the brass pipe steam intake so I will need to make a nice intake. Also there is no flywheel so I will need to make a new one and some how attach it to the crank shaft.

Lots of machine marks in the piston block as well as it being badly tarnished so it took me a good hour because of its shape but now it is gleaming! Before and after:

And finally a picture of the main frame:

So now I could do with some help and advice. Obviously I could polish this all up and put it back together again "as is" but that wouldn`t be any fun at all. Anyone got any initial suggestions as to how I could modify or bling this up a little bit or otherwise I`m going to have no machining to do and we can`t have that on madMODDERS!!

I really don`t have any ideas yet for the frame but I was initially thinking about profiling the crank to a balanced shape. I know this isn`t exactly the height of engine building and restoration like some of you post on here but already has been a great project for me to get my teeth into!

Any ideas or advice more than welcome!!

Cheers
Chris

Darren:
You've just rubbed away 100yrs of Patina......

raynerd:
I`m not one for patina! ... you? I hope not because the same 100 years is about to be rubbed off the frame later this evening :) :D 

And besides, if it was a nice finish then fair play but the machine marks needed to come out. Brass only takes a few years to reach maximum patina and I believe it is quite easy to both speed up the process and even fake it! 

However, none of the latter is relevents as I want mine shiney!!!!

Chris

sbwhart:
Chris

I cant see any steam ports  :scratch:

Why the four screws on the top of the cylinder  :scratch:

Puzzled

Stew

Darren:
I imagine the cylinder is bored through and capped off with a plate?

Dunno about the steam ports though?.. :scratch:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version