Gallery, Projects and General > How to's

Single point threading on the lathe

<< < (2/9) > >>

Mr blindbird:
Very nice walktrough for those starters that have no experiance in threading at all,very nice to spend your time showing how it's done  :thumbup:
Those tables you mention abouth should have at least show the inner and outer diameter of every possible tread,it's pitch and if it's an advanced table,it will even show the flankdiameters,take a litle time to study those numbers and in no time you will see it'll all make sence to you.
Have to say since you state that you dont realy understand all the tables yet,i wanne congratulate you as you do a wonderfull job finishing that thread  :thumbup:
On my turn,i also dont wanne patronise honnest,may i ad the following;
it's ok to cut the thread,feeding in a 90° angle in materials that produce short chips like brass,cast iron...and in all other materials as long as the thread dont get to heavy,meaning;you dont wanne feed an M20 at a 90° angle as that will put to much force on the threadingtool,leavin ugly marks and burrs behind and even may break the tool.
In that case,you have several choises,you can everytime you feed with the cross slide,feed 1/3 of that feed on the small slide(exuse me for not knowing the right name for that   :scratch:...)so you only get your tool cutting on the left side,creating a more propper chip which will make sure the walls of the thread are nice and even to,only the few last(and very light) passes you can do a 90° feed on the crosslide to make sure both walls of the thread are eaqualy cut.
an other option is to place that small slide :scratch: at a 60° or 55° ,acording to the needed thread,and feed only with this small slide  :scratch: mmmmzz if only i knew how the litle bugger is called,i wouldnt feel such an idiot here  ::) and again,only the few last light feeds going tru to shine up the walls.
This is all i can remember for now,hope it filled in some blanks  :wave:

Darren:
Small slide = compound slide....

Nice addition Danny.... :thumbup:

Mr blindbird:
Thx for helping me out Darren  :thumbup: ...that's the second time you save my skin  :D one more and i'll have to come over to treat you on a beer...or something stronger  :headbang:

raynerd:
Is this what they mean about generating or forming. With your cross slide feeding you are generating the full shape (in this case the thread) and putting pressure on the tool, yet with your compound slide set at an angle and feeding with the compound you only cut on one side and ultimately generate the shape, elevating pressure on the tool. I guess it takes more calculations to work out the depth of cut if your putting it on with the compound as your going in at an angle...?

All the threading guides I have read have shown a 29-30deg angle yet I have had good results with brass with the compound set square to the work. I guess it doesn`t work with steel, would it be best to generate and use the angle of the compound?

--- Quote from: Mr blindbird on August 02, 2009, 06:10:57 PM ---Very nice walktrough for those starters that have no experiance in threading at all,very nice to spend your time showing how it's done  :thumbup:
Those tables you mention abouth should have at least show the inner and outer diameter of every possible tread,it's pitch and if it's an advanced table,it will even show the flankdiameters,take a litle time to study those numbers and in no time you will see it'll all make sence to you.
Have to say since you state that you dont realy understand all the tables yet,i wanne congratulate you as you do a wonderfull job finishing that thread  :thumbup:
On my turn,i also dont wanne patronise honnest,may i ad the following;
it's ok to cut the thread,feeding in a 90° angle in materials that produce short chips like brass,cast iron...and in all other materials as long as the thread dont get to heavy,meaning;you dont wanne feed an M20 at a 90° angle as that will put to much force on the threadingtool,leavin ugly marks and burrs behind and even may break the tool.
In that case,you have several choises,you can everytime you feed with the cross slide,feed 1/3 of that feed on the small slide(exuse me for not knowing the right name for that   :scratch:...)so you only get your tool cutting on the left side,creating a more propper chip which will make sure the walls of the thread are nice and even to,only the few last(and very light) passes you can do a 90° feed on the crosslide to make sure both walls of the thread are eaqualy cut.
an other option is to place that small slide :scratch: at a 60° or 55° ,acording to the needed thread,and feed only with this small slide  :scratch: mmmmzz if only i knew how the litle bugger is called,i wouldnt feel such an idiot here  ::) and again,only the few last light feeds going tru to shine up the walls.
This is all i can remember for now,hope it filled in some blanks  :wave:

--- End quote ---

Darren:
This was made by feeding in at 90 deg, it's 7/8 x 12tpi

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=1390.0

I didn't have any issues and it cut really nicely on my 7x12 mini lathe.

I did consider off-setting the compound slide, but thought what the heck, push your luck and see what happens...it was fine... :med:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version