Gallery, Projects and General > How to's

Single point threading on the lathe

<< < (3/9) > >>

sbwhart:

--- Quote from: craynerd on August 02, 2009, 07:15:21 PM ---Is this what they mean about generating or forming.

--- End quote ---

Yes that correct Chris

Nice write up Tim and really useful input from the rest of you guys  :thumbup: a big thanks

Stew

Baldrocker:
Tim
Not patronising at all. Bloody good write up.
 Remember not all of us had an apprenticeship or 40 years
experience. (not denigrating those who have)
Just helping newcomers like me to see the light about threading
IS A GOOD THING :clap:
 I'm inspired to give it a go now
BR

spuddevans:

--- Quote from: Baldrocker on August 03, 2009, 04:04:05 AM ---Tim
 I'm inspired to give it a go now
BR

--- End quote ---

I'm glad you are going to give it a whirl, it really is not hard to do, just take your time and threads will appear as if by magic before your eyes. :thumbup:

The great thing is, once you have got to grips with single point threading you can make any form and pitch of thread you would like ( within your lathe's capability ) Especially if your lathe has a set of gears for driving the leadscrew, with a few calculations ( or with the help of a little program called "Change" from MKlotz over on hmem ) you can come up with all sorts of combinations of gears to get the required pitch, even cutting imperial on a metric lathe or cutting metric on an imperial.

The thread world is your oyster

Tim

DavesWimshurst:
Tim,
"The thread world is your oyster"
I was working on my window fan one very hot day.  I had it all apart dealing with a bearing problem.  Came time to put the blades back on I couldn't find the nut that holds the blades in place, 1/4 inch left hand thread. No such tap around of course.  It was hot but my shop is in the much cooler basement so I figured why not?  I made an internal threading tool from drill rod as this was smaller than my existing ones could handle and the clearance angles were for right hand threads anyway.  Hardened and tempered the tool.  Cut the thread.  Left hand so start inside the nut blank and cut moving out of the hole.  It worked out real easy,  I was so happy.  Two days later I heard the cat playing with something under the couch,  it was the missing nut!  Damn cat!
Dave

miken:
Id like to add that sometimes people are reluctant to try screw-cutting on their lathe ,especially if their machine is not fitted with a clutch or perhaps does not have a  low enough speed because they are concerned that they not be able to stop in time at the end of the cut.
  There is no need for concern if you make a mandrel handle a bit like an old fashioned car starting crank that fits up the hollow head stock mandrel and allows you to carry out the entire operation by hand and under complete control.
  It might make your arm ache on a long thread though.
Mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version